Who is the true father of modern physics?

In summary: He made huge advances in science and mathematics, and his work on motion and balance led to the development of classical mechanics.
shounakbhatta
Hello,

Some consider Albert Einstein, some think it was Galileo Galilei, some consider that E=mc^2 formula revolutionized the entire picture of physics, some consider James Clerk Maxwell's equations of electromagnetism. I consider it was Sir Isaac Newton.

Newton can be well considered as the father of modern physics. The gravitational laws based on which Einstein later founded the General theory of relativity came from Newton. Also 'Optiks' the first theory of light related to reflections, refractions came from Newton. The basic building block of the way Nature behaves, GRAVITY was first explained by Newton and then taken forward by others.

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what you mean by "modern" physics. But as far as proper physics goes (i.e. describing physical phenomena using mathematics and then using the mathematical formulation to predict experimental results), Newton reigns supreme.

Hello,

It is a general discussion. I am expecting some more views. Definitely, modern physics means which is not old. Well, I mean to say, not too much into jargon...But when physics took a new turn. Moving away from Ptolemic and Aristotelian view of the world and discovering new areas into physics.

Define "old".

Thoughts and ideas change with time. Old are those based on which new progress happens.

I think Heisenberg and the Copenhagen people deserve to be mentioned, because they based QM on observable quantities instead of an unobservable underlying reality. Conceptionally, there are parallels to what Newton did with mechanics and Einstein and others did with relativity. Newton surely made the biggest step in the development of physics but I would argue that Copenhagen made the most radical.

Also I think that we tend to overestimate the importance of single persons and underestimate the zeitgeist which makes scientific revolutions possible.

shounakbhatta said:
Thoughts and ideas change with time. Old are those based on which new progress happens.
Ok this isn't really any more specific...but heck Newton. Newton is easily the king. I would personally hold Faraday and Maxwell at the top as well, especially Faraday. I don't care much for the early 20th century physicists in the face of people like Maxwell, Faraday, and Newton.

Great point kith !

shounakbhatta said:
What do you think?

I think you are doing a pointless exercise in labeling.

shounakbhatta said:
Let me put a finer point on it: unless you make the definition objective (a number), the discussion is pretty much pointless.

This obviously settles it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn7-fVtT16k

Likes 1 person
phinds said:
I think you are doing a pointless exercise in labeling.

C'mon, we all know who daddy is...

Attachments

• Daddy.jpg
    Daddy.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 652
He's like a less attractive Jimmy Page...so dreamy

Maybe not the father of modern physics per se, but you have to give this guy a lot a credit for getting the approximate size of the Earth from looking down a few wells.

"Eratosthenes of Cyrene (Ancient Greek: Ἐρατοσθένης, IPA: [eratostʰénɛːs]; English /ɛrəˈtɒsθəniːz/; c. 276 BC[1] – c. 195 BC[2]) was a Greek mathematician, geographer, poet, astronomer, and music theorist.

He was the first person to use the word "geography" in Greek and he invented the discipline of geography as we understand it.[3] He invented a system of latitude and longitude.

He was the first person to calculate the circumference of the Earth by using a measuring system using stades, or the length of stadiums during that time period (with remarkable accuracy). He was the first to calculate the tilt of the Earth's axis (also with remarkable accuracy). He may also have accurately calculated the distance from the Earth to the sun and invented the leap day.[4] He also created the first map of the world incorporating parallels and meridians within his cartographic depictions based on the available geographical knowledge of the era. In addition, Eratosthenes was the founder of scientific chronology; he endeavoured to fix the dates of the chief literary and political events from the conquest of Troy.

According to an entry[5] in the Suda (a 10th-century reference), his contemporaries nicknamed him beta, from the second letter of the Greek alphabet, because he supposedly proved himself to be the second best in the world in almost every field.[6]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eratosthenes

Wiki

Last edited by a moderator:
shounakbhatta said:
Hello,

It is a general discussion. I am expecting some more views. Definitely, modern physics means which is not old. Well, I mean to say, not too much into jargon...But when physics took a new turn. Moving away from Ptolemic and Aristotelian view of the world and discovering new areas into physics.
If this is what you mean, then Galileo is clearly the answer.

What is the name of the "Father of Modern Physics"?

The "Father of Modern Physics" is commonly known as Sir Isaac Newton.

What are some of Newton's most famous contributions to physics?

Newton's most famous contributions to physics include his three laws of motion, his law of universal gravitation, and his development of the mathematical field of calculus.

How did Newton's work impact the field of physics?

Newton's work revolutionized the field of physics and laid the foundation for modern physics. His laws of motion and law of universal gravitation helped to explain and predict the physical behavior of objects, and his development of calculus provided a powerful tool for solving complex physics problems.

What were some of the criticisms of Newton's theories?

Some of the criticisms of Newton's theories included his reliance on absolute space and time, which was later challenged by Albert Einstein's theory of relativity. Additionally, some scientists argued that his laws of motion did not fully explain certain phenomena, such as the motion of celestial bodies.

How did Newton's work influence other areas of science and technology?

Newton's work had a profound impact on other areas of science and technology. His laws of motion and law of universal gravitation were applied to fields such as astronomy, engineering, and navigation. His development of calculus also had wide-reaching applications in mathematics, science, and engineering.