Einstein Fact-Check: Debunking Myths & Fun Survey

• Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Einstein
In summary, Einstein's life is full of interesting legends. Some of which are true and some of which are not. People can either believe these legends or not, but at the end of the day they are just legends. People can also ask their own questions in this thread, and I or someone else may be able to answer them.
DiracPool
I'm a big fan of Einstein and I'm guessing many of you are also. I thought I'd start a thread where people who have researched Einstein's life and science can corroborate or dispel myths about the legend. I'll start with a couple unanswered questions I have after doing some research and reading on his life and throw in a fun survey at the end. After that, feel free to ask your own questions in this thread and perhaps I or someone else can address them.

1) The Hilbert War--When Einstein was finishing his equations of General Relativity in 1915, David Hilbert was racing him to that goal. Most accounts say that this was a serious concern for Einstein, and there's one quote in particular where Einstein wrote about the dispicableness of Hilbert in trying to come up with the equations before him. In fact, there is some controversy as to who actually came up with the completed equations first.

Walter Isaacson said in an interview that, at the end of the day, Hilbert conceded to Einstein and was very gracious about it--after all, it was Einstein's theory to begin with. However, I've heard other reports that Hilbert wasn't so agreeable or gracious about the whole thing and continued to contest that he actually came up with equations first. Does anyone know the real story?

2) Einstein's patent office-- Another legend is that Einstein came to develop his special theory of relativity because, as a patent clerk, he reviewed dozens of patent application for the synchronization of clocks due to the "modern world" needing to prevent trains from colliding around Europe. Is there any report of Einstein ever making a comment on this? Or is this just what historians like to imagine what happened?

3) SURVEY- Reliable reports claim that Einstein did not know of the Michelson-Morley experiments in 1887 showing the constancy of the speed of light when he developed his SR theory he published in 1905. How many of you believe this is true?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did he ever have a physical sexual encounter with Max Borns wife? Born would have withheld publishing any letters that suggested that there was ever such an encounter. But there was obviously something there... Please tell!

I thought it was interesting to see what Einstein's inspiration truly was. In the Rick and Morty Season 2 premiere "A Rickle In Time" the post credits scene clearly shows Einstein's research was driven forward after he was savagely beaten by aliens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_and_Morty_(season_2)

What are some common myths about Albert Einstein?

Some common myths about Albert Einstein include that he failed math in school, that he was a poor student, and that he was a high school dropout. All of these are false - Einstein excelled in math and physics, and he graduated from high school with top marks.

Did Einstein really say that "imagination is more important than knowledge"?

Yes, Einstein did say this quote, but it is often taken out of context. In full, the quote reads "Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." In this context, Einstein is emphasizing the importance of both imagination and knowledge, but recognizing that imagination can lead to new discoveries and advancements.

What is the famous equation associated with Einstein?

The famous equation associated with Einstein is E=mc², which is known as the mass-energy equivalence. This equation shows the relationship between mass and energy, and it has been fundamental in the development of modern physics and nuclear energy.

Did Einstein really fail his entrance exam to the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School?

No, this is a myth. While Einstein did not pass the entrance exam on his first try, he was only 16 at the time and the exam was designed for 18-year-olds. He also excelled in the math and physics portions, and was admitted to the school on his second attempt.

What is the significance of Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity has had a major impact on our understanding of the universe and has been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations. It has led to the development of concepts such as space-time, black holes, and the expanding universe, and has revolutionized our understanding of gravity.