Who are the people of physics forums

In summary: I learned the most reading journals and engaging in discussion with experts (both on PF and at the U). I started to love science at around 10 years of age, when I started reading about the world and how things work. I attended four universities, but I seem to learn more when I "self-study". I am now 68 years old and still learning more all the time, especially right here on PF. It seems like a process that never stops, and is driven by my intense curiosity. One hotly debated point a short time ago was whether or not our educational backgrounds (degrees) should be posted under our avatars. This is no longer the case, but you can generally get into our profiles and find
lonewolf219
Hey, I am new to physics forums with, as you can see, a small number of posts. But I have read a lot more on these pages than this number conveys. I am wondering if a lot of you guys are professors? You all seem like you have PhD's in physics, and I am really blown away by how much you guys know! Have you learned more about physics in your careers after college? And what careers are you guys in? Very curious about what seems to me like geniuses here...

Physics news on Phys.org
I have only a bs in physics, but am working in experimental neuroscience and doing my MS thesis in computational neuroscience.

I learned the most reading journals and engaging in discussion with experts (both on PF and at the U) but I am always drawing on skills gathered from long hours of tedious homework problems and well-designed research assignments.

I started to love science at around 10 years of age. Although I have attended four universities, I seem to learn more when I "self-study". I am now 68 and am still learning more all the time, especially right here on Physics Forums. It seems like a process that never stops, and is driven by my intense curiosity.

In one hotly debated point a short time ago, our educational backgrounds (degrees) were taken from our profiles and posted under our avatars. This is no longer the case, but you can generally get into our profiles and find this out if we included this is our creation of profile.

I've always wondered if any of my professors go on here :)
I think I like not knowing.

I have a PHD in "Wikipedia Linking".

Drakkith said:
I have a PHD in "Wikipedia Linking".

:smile:

We'll tell you if you tell us what your favorite fish is.

Kholdstare said:
We'll tell you if you tell us what your favorite fish is.

bluefin tuna. raw. no, that's not a metaphor.

mr. vodka said:
I think I like not knowing.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing...

My favorite fish? It's got to be Dorie

"He's looking for his son, Fabio.."

No education. I just like to make noise.

chillar said:
I am English professor

:bugeye:

chillar said:
Hey dude,
I am English professor but wished to study about the physics forums that's why i am here.

I fink I no you.You is the one who learned me how to rite and that.

:smile:

I have no degree. Studied chemical engineering before switching to liberal arts at the urging of my honors mentor (incredible old professor emeritus), worked in construction, and ended up as a process chemist in the world's newest Kraft pulp-mill, then transitioned to a paper-machine operator, and went out into the world after 10 years consulting for paper mills and boiler-houses all over the East and the deep South.

I had no engineering degree, but carrying $1M in liability insurance (plus professional recommendations from past clients) got me in a lot of doors. It's nice to have so much work that you have to turn some down.

Professional certifications include a license to operate ClassIV wastewater treatment plants and a certification from the National Board of Opticianry. That was a fun one! After I got certified, all the opticians in the practice studied, tested out and got certified, too. I guess they figured if I could do it after less than 5 months of ~1/2 time experience (I was the network administrator for the practice), they could do it, too.

I'm another newbie...I've only been here about a month. I am actually not a physics student at all--I found the site when looking for math homework hints. I am a creative writing major and (if all goes according to plan), soon to be a master's student in mathematics. Yeah, my academic background is weird...it's a long story.

20Tauri, Welcome to you here at Physics Forums.

One attribute of our forum is the diversity of its members. Our strengths are additive and the end result is that accurate science gets promulgated. I surely learn new things regularly. Hoping you also have a good experience here.

Bobbywhy

Thanks, Bobbywhy.

lonewolf219 said:
Hey, I am new to physics forums with, as you can see, a small number of posts. But I have read a lot more on these pages than this number conveys. I am wondering if a lot of you guys are professors? You all seem like you have PhD's in physics, and I am really blown away by how much you guys know! Have you learned more about physics in your careers after college? And what careers are you guys in? Very curious about what seems to me like geniuses here...
PF has about 340,000 members. I'm one of the many PF members who has a non-science degree. I came here through Google, I think, because I wanted to understand Bell's theorem. I didn't post in the non-science forums for quite a while. Now, because I'm satisfied with my understanding of Bell's theorem, the non-science forums (the PF Lounge) are pretty much the only forums I post in. Except once in a while I ask a question in the cosmology forum, etc.

It's a good question about how many working physicists, professors, and grad students are PF members. I have no idea. I'd guess that there are some bona fide geniuses that occasionally post here. But again, no idea.

There might be some PF polls on this. Do a search.

ThomasT said:
It's a good question about how many working physicists, professors, and grad students are PF members. I have no idea. I'd guess that there are some bona fide geniuses that occasionally post here. But again, no idea.

Here's a nice overview of the members:
https://www.physicsforums.com/memberlist.php?order=DESC&sort=posts&pp=30
Some of the members have filled in a bit of who they are and what they do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Serena said:
Here's a nice overview of the members:
https://www.physicsforums.com/memberlist.php?order=DESC&sort=posts&pp=30
Some of the members have filled in a bit of who they are and what they do.
Thanks. I forgot about that. I noticed, in looking at a few pages, that there are several people who I know or am fairly sure have science/technical degrees but who haven't bothered to (or didn't want to) list that info.

Last edited by a moderator:
lonewolf219 said:

BS in Electrical Engineering, but currently work as an orbital analyst (helping make sure our comm satellites don't get too close to other satellites using the same radio frequencies - and that they don't get so close to other satellites that they actually collide, plus teach some orbital mechanics and satellite attitude control courses for new employees). But, I've worked in just about every phase of satellite operations except launch over the course of my life.

And as far as learning more after college, that's pretty much par for the course in a career that encompasses several different jobs in a field whose technology evolves fairly rapidly. Learning what you have to know, when you have to know it, pretty much becomes a habit for a person's career nowadays.

BS in ME, but have always been interested in physics/cosmology/astronomy, so PF is a natural fit for me. I originally signed up for physics at college, switched to ME after getting a taste of college math and learning that a BS in physics does not command much re$pect.

I worked for the US Navy Dept. for 30 years, then tapered of as a consultant for another 15 years or so. Now I tend a wife, dog, four cats, and a lizard. Life is good.

Related to Who are the people of physics forums

1. Who are the people of physics forums?

The people of physics forums are a diverse community of individuals who have a shared interest in physics and science. They come from all over the world and have different backgrounds, education levels, and areas of expertise. Some are professional scientists, while others are students or simply enthusiasts.

2. What kind of discussions take place on physics forums?

The discussions on physics forums cover a wide range of topics related to physics and science, including theoretical and experimental research, current events and news, and educational resources. Members also engage in debates, share their own work and ideas, and offer help and advice to those seeking it.

3. How can I become a member of physics forums?

To become a member of physics forums, you can sign up for an account on the website. This is a simple and free process that only requires a valid email address. Once you have an account, you can start participating in discussions and connect with other members of the community.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for participating in physics forums?

Yes, there are rules and guidelines that members are expected to follow when participating in physics forums. These guidelines help to maintain a respectful and productive community and include things like being courteous to others, avoiding plagiarism, and using proper grammar and spelling. Violation of these guidelines can result in warnings or even account suspension.

5. Can I ask for help with my homework on physics forums?

While physics forums can be a helpful resource for learning and understanding physics concepts, it is not a place to ask for direct answers to homework problems. However, members are happy to provide guidance and help clarify concepts and equations. It is important to follow the guidelines and show effort in solving the problem yourself before seeking help on the forums.