Which US company internship should I pick?

In summary, the speaker is an Industrial Engineering graduate currently pursuing a master's degree in Manufacturing Engineering in Europe. They have the opportunity to seek an internship in the US and are considering factors such as salary, industry recognition and career prospects, and location. They are open to both a prepared list of companies and applying to companies of their choice. The other person advises them to focus on the opportunity first, followed by salary and location, and recommends aiming for a high-visibility position with potential for a job offer after graduation. They also highlight the potential of a meaningful internship as a pathway to a first job.
Butters
I'm an Industrial Engineering graduate currently enrolled in Manufacturing Engineering master studies in Europe. I have an opportunity to seek for internship in US. Don't have any particular strengths, just been working in tobacco manufacturing for a year.

I guess my determinants are:
1. Salary (only paid internships, the higher the better)
2. Opportunities within the industry (international recognition, career perspectives)
3. State (interesting people, beautiful environment)

Once I have some idea, I will be able to target chosen companies specifically.

Physics news on Phys.org
The one you get an offer for is usually a safe bet

artfullounger said:
The one you get an offer for is usually a safe bet
I could apply for a prepared list of companies but I could also give it a chance to go for the ones of my choice. It's just that there're so many advertisements all over the states that I need to somehow narrow down my choice.

At this point in your schooling you're better off focusing on the opportunity first, salary and location second. Try to get a high-visibility position where you are doing real work and can make connections. Also, if it is at a company that hires its interns after graduation, this is a good opportunity for "try-before-you-buy".

A meaty internship can be a great way into a first job.

Related to Which US company internship should I pick?

1. What type of experience will I gain from each internship?

The type of experience you will gain from each internship will depend on the specific company and role you choose. Generally, internships at larger companies will provide more structured and specialized experience, while internships at smaller companies may offer a more diverse range of tasks and responsibilities. It is important to carefully review the job description and company information to determine which internship will best align with your goals and interests.

2. How will this internship benefit my future career?

This can vary greatly depending on the company and internship role. Some internships may offer the opportunity to work on high-profile projects, gain valuable skills and industry knowledge, and make connections with professionals in your field. It is important to research the company and the potential career paths of previous interns to determine how this internship may benefit your future career.

3. What is the compensation for each internship?

The compensation for internships can vary greatly depending on the company, location, and role. Some internships may offer a stipend or hourly wage, while others may be unpaid. It is important to consider the cost of living in the location of the internship when evaluating compensation. Additionally, some internships may offer other benefits such as housing or transportation assistance.

4. What is the company culture like at each internship?

The company culture can greatly impact your overall experience at an internship. It is important to research the company's values, mission, and employee reviews to get a sense of the culture. Additionally, you can reach out to current or former interns to get their perspective on the company culture and how it may align with your own values and work style.

5. How competitive is the application process for each internship?

The competitiveness of the application process can vary greatly depending on the company and internship role. Some companies may have a highly selective application process, while others may have a more open and inclusive process. It is important to carefully review the application requirements and deadlines to determine your chances of being selected for each internship.