Should I exchange my job for an internship?

In summary, the speaker has been working in the manufacturing industry for 1.5 years and is currently pursuing a Master's degree. They have an opportunity to study abroad for a semester and are considering taking internships abroad afterward. However, they are unsure about quitting their current job and starting from an internship again. They are also questioning if the sacrifices necessary to succeed in corporate business are worth it.
Butters
I've been working in manufacturing industry for ~1.5 years starting from an assistant to a technician. Currently I am also pursing my Masters degree and I have a good opportunity to study abroad for a semester. Afterwards I'm considering some internship opportunities abroad too.
Is it okay for me to test the waters and try different production industries even if it means quitting my job now and starting from an internship again?

Physics news on Phys.org
Difficult call for someone from the outside to make. It depends on your financial situation, so if you are able to take an internship at, I assume, a lower wage, or if this even matters to you.
Also starting at the internship level again might throw you into the type of work, at least at the beginning, you don't want to be doing anymore, essentially "paying your dues" all over again.
Have said all that, go for it! 1.5 years is nothing, and broadening your overall knowledge base can only benefit you in the long run.

Likes symbolipoint
The company I'm in is one of the best I could find locally but I'm curious about other high brand international production companies. I've learned that you really need to be smart/lucky/hardworking to succeed in corporate business. It is demanding to the point at which I have to give up on my free time if I do want to climb up. I'm still young and I could see myself taking after that corporate mentality but now I have doubts and contemplate every day if the sacrifice is really worth it.

Related to Should I exchange my job for an internship?

1. Should I exchange my job for an internship?

This is a common question that many individuals face when considering a career change or advancement. There are a few factors to consider before making this decision.

2. What are the benefits of exchanging my job for an internship?

There are several potential benefits to exchanging your job for an internship, including gaining new skills and experiences, networking opportunities, and potentially leading to a full-time job offer.

3. What are the potential drawbacks of exchanging my job for an internship?

Some potential drawbacks include a decrease in income, potential for a temporary position, and having to start at a lower position within the company.

4. How can I determine if an internship is the right move for my career?

It's important to carefully assess your goals, skills, and career path before making a decision. Consider the potential benefits and drawbacks, as well as the specific internship opportunity and how it aligns with your goals.

5. Are there any other factors I should consider before exchanging my job for an internship?

Yes, it's important to also consider the company culture, the potential for growth and advancement within the company, and the overall fit with your career goals and values.