Which Shaft Transmits More Torque: Hollow or Solid?

In summary, the question is asking which shaft, a hollow or solid one, can transmit more torque in two different conditions: if the diameter is the same and if the cross-sectional area is the same. The answer is that in condition 1, the solid shaft can transmit more torque due to its larger diameter. In condition 2, the hollow shaft can transmit more torque due to its larger cross-sectional area. This is because the strength of a shaft in torsion is controlled by its material properties and the cross-sectional torsion constant. Further research and calculations can help with understanding this concept.
vsp_6887
I have a two shaft 1) hollow shaft 2) solid shaft . both has same length.

Condition 1) If diameter of both this shaft is same, which shaft can transmit a more torque? how?

condition 2) If cross section area of both this shaft are same then which shaft can transmit more torque? how?

Please reply with calculation & theory & example if possible...

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think it's pretty obvious this is homework so I'll have to do my due diligence: what do you think? Have you done any work? What lectures have you had in class which discussed this?

Actually this is a question ask during my 1st interview..

I read earlier this & reply for condition i think 1 ) ans is solid shaft & for condition 2) Hollow shaft

But i do not find clear answer why ? what is the reason...

So I guess the interview didn't go well? Have you taken a class in this topic?

The strength of a shaft in torsion is controlled by its material properties, and the cross-sectional torsion constant a.k.a. the second moment of area. You may try calculating the shaft strength for each case using some made up numbers to see what you come up with, I think it could help with your understanding...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsion_(mechanics)

Related to Which Shaft Transmits More Torque: Hollow or Solid?

What is torque transmitted by a shaft?

Torque transmitted by a shaft refers to the amount of rotational force that is transferred through a rotating shaft. It is a measure of the twisting force that is applied to the shaft, and is typically measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft).

How is torque transmitted by a shaft calculated?

The formula for calculating torque transmitted by a shaft is torque = force x distance. This means that the amount of torque is directly proportional to the amount of force applied to the shaft and the distance from the point of force application to the axis of rotation.

What factors affect torque transmission in a shaft?

The amount of torque transmitted by a shaft is affected by several factors, including the material and diameter of the shaft, the speed of rotation, and the amount of force applied. Friction and other external forces can also play a role in reducing the amount of torque transmitted.

Why is torque transmission important in mechanical systems?

Torque transmission is crucial in mechanical systems because it allows for the transfer of power and motion from one component to another. Without torque, machines would not be able to function and perform their intended tasks.

What are some common methods used to increase torque transmission in a shaft?

Some common methods used to increase torque transmission in a shaft include increasing the diameter of the shaft, using stronger and more durable materials, and reducing friction through lubrication. Gear systems and pulleys can also be used to increase torque in a shaft by multiplying the force applied.