Overhung load, extending output shaft

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a hollow output shaft gearbox that can accept a 1-1/8" solid shaft and the desire to extend the output shaft by 6 inches. The manufacturer states that the gear reducer is rated for 899 lbs with either the hollow or solid shaft extending 2.36 inches from the output seal. The goal is to support 200 lbs and calculate the overhung load, but the available equations seem to focus on pulleys or sheaves at the end of the standard output shaft. The distance from the output seal/bearing is an important factor in determining the maximum overhung load the gear reducer can handle. The conversation also asks for an equation to use and mentions that extending the shaft may
SevenToFive
I have a hollow output shaft gearbox that will accept a 1-1/8" solid shaft, I want to extend the output shaft of a gearbox by 6 inches from the face of output seal to the end of the shaft. The manufacturer states that gear reducer is rated 899 lbs with the hollow shaft or a solid shaft that extends 2.36 inches from the face of the output seal. I am looking for the shaft to support 200 lbs. I want to calculate the overhung load but all of the equations that I find seem to focus around having a pulley or sheave at the end of the standard output shaft, but we will not be adding a pulley or sheave to the end of the shaft. The equation in the gearbox manufacturers catalog is (HP*126000*Overhung Load Factor)/Pitch Diameter*Output RPM. The distance from the output seal/bearing must play a large roll in the amount of overhung load the gear reducer can take.

Does anyone have an equation I can use?

Thanks

Is it saying that you can hang 899lbs on the shaft at a distance of 2.36" unsupported (underline unsupported). If that is the case then you double the distance, halve the load allowed if you get my meaning. Otherwise, if you are actually supporting the load you should be able to make the shaft as long as you like and it won't matter as long as your extension shaft does not put more than the allowable 'overhung' load on the gearbox bearings ... and doesn't cause a twist (edit: or weld) failure on your extension shaft.

Related to Overhung load, extending output shaft

What is an overhung load?

An overhung load refers to any external force or weight that is applied to the output shaft of a rotating machine or system, which extends beyond the bearing support. This load can put stress on the output shaft and bearings, potentially causing damage or failure.

What types of machines or systems are susceptible to overhung loads?

Machines or systems that have a rotating output shaft, such as motors, pumps, and gearboxes, are most susceptible to overhung loads. This is because the weight or force of the load is not evenly distributed along the shaft and can cause it to bend or break.

How can overhung loads be calculated or measured?

To calculate or measure an overhung load, the weight or force of the load must first be determined. This can be done by using a scale or load cell. Once the weight or force is known, it can be divided by the distance between the bearing support and the end of the output shaft to determine the overhung load.

What are the potential consequences of an overhung load on a machine or system?

An overhung load can cause excessive stress on the output shaft and bearings, leading to premature wear, damage, or failure. This can result in downtime, costly repairs, and potential safety hazards.

How can overhung loads be prevented or minimized?

To prevent or minimize overhung loads, it is important to properly design and select components that can withstand the expected load. This may include using larger bearings or support structures, reducing the distance between the bearing support and the end of the output shaft, or using additional support such as a thrust bearing. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify and address any potential issues before they become a problem.