Which Set-up Has Greater Acceleration?

In summary, the conversation discussed a Modified Atwood's Machine with different set-ups and the question of which set-up would have a greater acceleration. The first set-up had a cart with a hanging weight attached to a string, while the second set-up had a person pulling on the string. The conversation concluded that the accelerations would be equal in the first set-up, but the person pulling would have a greater acceleration in the second set-up due to the applied force of 10N being the same as the tension force in the string.
Robershky

Homework Statement

A Modified Atwood's Machine has a 10 N cart on a frictionless, horizontal track with a 10 N hanging weight attached to a string connecting the two weights. A second track is set up with the hanging weight replaced by a person who can maintain a 10 N pull on the string (as measured with a force probe). Which set-up has the greater acceleration?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Wouldn't they have equal acceleration since the force pulling them is the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
Same externally applied force, but one system has twice the mass of the other. Draw a free body diagram of each mass for the first case and identify forces and solve for acceleration using Newton 2. Then look at case 2. Are the accelerations equal?

[tex] T = ma [/tex]
and for the hanging block
[tex] -T + mg = ma [/tex]
[tex] T = mg - ma[/tex]

plugging it into the first one:

[tex] mg - ma = ma[/tex]
[tex] a = g/2[/tex]

For case 2 we would have:

[tex] T = ma [/tex]

[tex] -T + F_{applied} = ma[/tex]
[tex]T = F_{applied} - ma[/tex]

plugging in for the first 1

[tex]F_{applied} - ma = ma[/tex]
[tex]a = \frac{10}{2*m}[/tex]

Both those equations yield the same acceleration. So they would be equal. Is that correct?

Robershky said:
[tex] T = ma [/tex]
and for the hanging block
[tex] -T + mg = ma [/tex]
[tex] T = mg - ma[/tex]

plugging it into the first one:

[tex] mg - ma = ma[/tex]
[tex] a = g/2[/tex]
This is correct
For case 2 we would have:

[tex] T = ma [/tex]
correct, for the cart
[tex] -T + F_{applied} = ma[/tex]
[tex]T = F_{applied} - ma[/tex]
but for this analysis of the force on the hanging rope, what is the value of 'm' to use? Is there any mass involved here?

I see, I forgot to differentiate which mass was which. There is an applied force of 10N, but no mass is used, how does that work?

Robershky said:
I see, I forgot to differentiate which mass was which. There is an applied force of 10N, but no mass is used, how does that work?
well, you can use your equation [tex]T = F_{applied} - ma[/tex] if you want, and set m=0 to solve for T. Then solve for the acceleration by plugging T into your equation for the cart. That's one way of doing it.

I think I got it. There would be more acceleration for the person pulling. Right?

Robershky said:
I think I got it. There would be more acceleration for the person pulling. Right?
Yes. A simpler way is to realize that the applied force at the hanging end (10N) is just the tension force in the string (10N), which is the same tension force accelerating the cart (thus, a=g for this case).

Related to Which Set-up Has Greater Acceleration?

What is Modified Atwood Confusion?

Modified Atwood Confusion is a scientific concept that describes the discrepancy between the expected and observed behavior of objects in a gravitational field. It is named after the physicist George Atwood, who first demonstrated this phenomenon with a simple experiment involving two masses connected by a string over a pulley.

How is Modified Atwood Confusion different from regular Atwood's Law?

Modified Atwood Confusion is an extension of Atwood's Law, which states that the acceleration of a system is equal to the difference in mass between the two objects divided by the total mass. However, Modified Atwood Confusion takes into account additional factors such as friction, air resistance, and other external forces that can affect the movement of the objects in the system.

What are some real-life examples of Modified Atwood Confusion?

One common example of Modified Atwood Confusion is seen in elevator systems. Elevators are designed to move at a constant speed, but passengers may feel a slight acceleration or deceleration due to changes in the weight of the elevator as people enter and exit. Another example can be seen in amusement park rides, where the movement of the ride can be affected by external forces such as wind resistance.

How is Modified Atwood Confusion relevant to modern science?

Modified Atwood Confusion is relevant to modern science as it helps us better understand the complexities of physical systems and how they are affected by various forces. This concept is particularly important in fields such as engineering and physics, where precise calculations and predictions are necessary.

What are some potential applications of Modified Atwood Confusion?

Some potential applications of Modified Atwood Confusion include designing more efficient elevator systems, understanding the behavior of objects in space under the influence of gravity, and improving the accuracy of simulations and models in various scientific fields. It can also be applied to study the movement of fluids and particles in a gravitational field, which has implications in fields such as meteorology and geology.