A misconception I have about impulse formula interpretation

In summary, the conversation discussed a misconception about the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. The misconception was that applying a force for a longer period of time would result in a greater acceleration, whereas in reality, the acceleration is determined by the change in velocity over time. The concept of impulse, which is the product of force and time, is still valid and can be useful in certain situations. However, it does not contradict the concept of acceleration.
elElegido
The misconception came up from the following problem: "A 0.50-kg cart (#1) is pulled with a 1.0-N force for 1 second; another 0.50 kg cart (#2) is pulled with a 2.0 N-force for 0.50 seconds. Which cart (#1 or #2) has the greatest acceleration? "

I know the answer is the following (I looked it up) a=f/m --> 1N/0.5kg= 2m/s2 and 2N/0.5kg = 4m/s2, so the 2n carts acceleration is greater but for me it goes against common sense. What common sense tells me is that if you apply 2N for 0.5s causes the same acceleration as applying 1N for 1s if the object has in both cases has the same mass: 2N*0.5s = 1N*s average force and 1N*1s = 1N*s average force, this should cause the same acceleration for both, not acceleration #2cart >#1cart.

What's the point of saying we apply the for during let's say 1s, 5000000s, or in 0.0000000001s if the time doesn't really affect the acceleration? What's the point of impulse as force*time? What I see is acceleration doesn't care about how much time you apply a force so it goes against the concept of impulse itself, doesn't it?

Thanks in advance for your help. Have a great day.

[Moderator's note: moved from a technical forum.]

Physics news on Phys.org
The change in velocity is the same. But, as the change takes half the time in the second case, the acceleration must be greater. In other words, in terms of well-defined physics:
$$a = \frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t} \ \text{and} \ a \ne \Delta v$$

• Informative
Likes elElegido
elElegido said:
What I see is acceleration doesn't care about how much time you apply a force so it goes against the concept of impulse itself, doesn't it?
No. The two concepts are completely compatible. It may be that one or the other is more useful in a particular scenario.

1. What is the impulse formula and how is it interpreted?

The impulse formula, also known as the impulse-momentum theorem, is a mathematical equation that relates the change in momentum of an object to the force applied to it. It is interpreted as the product of force and time, and represents the change in momentum over a given period of time.

2. Is there a common misconception about the interpretation of the impulse formula?

Yes, a common misconception is that the impulse formula only applies to collisions. In reality, it can be used to calculate the change in momentum for any force applied over a period of time.

3. How does the impulse formula relate to Newton's Laws of Motion?

The impulse formula is derived from Newton's Second Law, which states that the net force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By rearranging this equation, we can arrive at the impulse formula.

4. Can the impulse formula be used to calculate the force of impact in a collision?

Yes, the impulse formula can be used to calculate the average force of impact in a collision by dividing the change in momentum by the time of impact. This can be useful in determining the safety of certain objects or structures.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the impulse formula?

Yes, the impulse formula is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. It can be used to analyze the forces involved in car crashes, design safer helmets for athletes, and improve the performance of rockets and other propulsion systems.