Atwood machine calculation for launching a pebble

In summary, the pebble exerts an equal and opposite force on the block, which is due to Newton's third law.
dyn
Homework Statement
Massless pulley . massless string with block of mass m1 at one end . block of mass m2 at other end. If pebble of mass m is placed on block of mass m2 , what is the force exerted by the pebble om block of mass 2 ?
Relevant Equations
Newton's 2nd law ; F=ma
Assume m2>m1 and take positive direction as downwards. String is inextensible so acceleration of block up = acceleration of block +pebble down =a
I used the following 2 equations to obtain a ;
-m1a = m1g - T , (m2+m)a = (m+m2)g - T
which gives a = g(m+m2-m1)/(m+m1+m2)

I then constructed a free-body diagram for the pebble which has its weight acting down and the normal reaction from the block acting upward.
Using ma= mg - N ; i arrived at N = 2m1mg/(m+m1+m2
I then said that the force exerted by pebble on m2 is equal and opposite to the normal reaction , N

Where am i going wrong ? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right to me.

Hi,
The answer given in Physics for Scientists & Engineers by Tipler & Mosca is g( m2 + m12 + m22) / (m+m1 + m2 )

I have no confidence in my answer because Atwood's machine questions totally confuse me

Consider the limiting case where ##m_1 \to 0##. Then ##m## and ##m_2## would be in free fall, and the masses would not exert a force on each other. Your answer gives that result; the one from the book doesn't.

Likes dyn, Steve4Physics and Lnewqban
dyn said:
I have no confidence in my answer because Atwood's machine questions totally confuse me

(Edited to correct typo'.)

Hi. I agree with your final answer and, as Vela observed (#4), the book-answer can't be correct.

Many students find Atwood machine calculations confusing. I think it's because there are 2 different directions of acceleration and errors with signs creep in.

One ‘trick’ that might help you for simple problems is to note that it is the difference in weights which drives the acceleration.

For a simple example I’ll use |g| = 10m/s². Say the masses are 1kg (weight = 10N) and 3kg (weight = 30N). The weight difference is 30N – 10N = 20N
***We have 20N accelerating a mass of 4kg as if we had a simple 1D arrangement.***
$$|a| = \frac{|F_{net}|}{m_{total}} = \frac{20}{1+3} = 5m/s^2 $$We didn’t even need to write equations involving tension (an internal force)!

For the smaller mass alone, tension is greater than weight, so the accelerating force is |T| - 10 upwards
|F| = m|a| gives |T| -10 = 1*5 .

For the larger mass alone, weight is greater than tension, so the accelerating force is 30 - |T| downwards.
|F| = m|a| gives 30 - |T| = 3*5.

In your problem (using your assumption that m₂+m> m₁) the weight difference is (m₂g + mg) – m₁g and the total mass is m₁ + m₂ + m. So we can immedately write:
$$|a| = \frac{|g|(m_2 +m – m_1)}{m_1 + m_2 + m} $$

Note we are taking each object's positive direction to be the direction of its acceleration. So when we look at the pebble (accelerating down) we know the net force is m|g|- N, giving m|g|- N = m|a|

Likes dyn
dyn said:
I then constructed a free-body diagram for the pebble which has its weight acting down and the normal reaction from the block acting upward.
Using ma= mg - N ; i arrived at N = 2m1mg/(m+m1+m2
I then said that the force exerted by pebble on m2 is equal and opposite to the normal reaction , N

Where am i going wrong ? Thanks
Thanks for your help everyone. Can i just check one last thing ? The normal reaction from the block acting upward on the pebble which is numerically equal ( due to Newton's 3rd Law ) to to the force exerted by the pebble on the block. Are these 2 forces an example of an action-reaction pair ? The other relevant action-reaction pair being the gravitational force downwards on the block and pebble and the gravitational force upwards on the Earth due to the mass of the block and pebble. Is that all correct ?

dyn said:
Thanks for your help everyone. Can i just check one last thing ? The normal reaction from the block acting upward on the pebble which is numerically equal ( due to Newton's 3rd Law ) to to the force exerted by the pebble on the block. Are these 2 forces an example of an action-reaction pair ? The other relevant action-reaction pair being the gravitational force downwards on the block and pebble and the gravitational force upwards on the Earth due to the mass of the block and pebble. Is that all correct ?
Yes.

Likes dyn
I'm going to post a related question in the Classical Physics forum if anyone is interested

Related to Atwood machine calculation for launching a pebble

What is an Atwood machine?

An Atwood machine is a simple mechanical device consisting of two masses connected by a string or cable that passes over a pulley. It is commonly used to demonstrate principles of mechanics, such as acceleration and force.

How does an Atwood machine work?

The two masses in an Atwood machine are connected by a string or cable that passes over a pulley. When one mass is released, the force of gravity causes it to accelerate downwards, pulling the other mass upwards. This creates tension in the string and causes the masses to move in opposite directions.

What is the formula for calculating the acceleration of an Atwood machine?

The formula for calculating the acceleration of an Atwood machine is a = (m1 - m2)g / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s² on Earth).

How do you calculate the velocity of a pebble launched by an Atwood machine?

To calculate the velocity of a pebble launched by an Atwood machine, you can use the formula v = √(2gh), where g is the acceleration due to gravity and h is the height that the pebble is launched from.

What factors can affect the results of an Atwood machine calculation for launching a pebble?

The results of an Atwood machine calculation for launching a pebble can be affected by factors such as the mass of the pebble, the mass of the counterweight, the height from which the pebble is launched, and any external forces acting on the system (such as air resistance). Additionally, friction in the pulley or string can also affect the results.