Which Programming Language is Dominant in Industry?

In summary, the speaker is a newly graduated engineer who plans on traveling for 12 months before starting work. They want to use this time to develop their skills in programming languages C++ or C#, but are unsure if there is a dominant language used in industry. The expert summarizer responds that JAVA and C++ are the two dominant languages, but there are also many others in active use.
Jones1987
Hello,

I'm a newly graduated engineer and planning on traveling for 12 months before settling into the real world. I have 12 months to develop my skills in programming languages C++ or C#, I only have basic knowledge of C from playing with PLC software / hardware etc.

My question is is there a dominant programming language out there used in industry, or does it vary from company to company? As I don't want to spend a long period of time learning something I may find out dated etc?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
JAVA and C++ are the two dominant languages but there are lots of others in active use.

Related to Which Programming Language is Dominant in Industry?

1. What is a PLC?

A PLC (Programmable Logic Controller) is a specialized computer designed for controlling industrial processes and automating machinery. It is commonly used in manufacturing, transportation, and energy industries.

2. What is the role of software engineering in PLC?

Software engineering is essential in the development and maintenance of PLCs. It involves the design, coding, testing, and debugging of software programs that run on the PLC to control and monitor industrial processes.

3. How is PLC software different from other types of software?

PLC software is designed specifically for controlling and monitoring industrial processes, while other types of software are more general purpose. PLC software also has strict requirements for reliability, safety, and real-time operation, which sets it apart from other types of software.

4. What are the common programming languages used in PLC software engineering?

The most commonly used programming languages in PLC software engineering are Ladder Logic, Function Block Diagram (FBD), and Structured Text (ST). These languages are designed for easy implementation and troubleshooting of industrial processes.

5. What are the key skills required for a career in PLC software engineering?

Some key skills required for a career in PLC software engineering include knowledge of programming languages used in PLCs, understanding of industrial processes, ability to read and interpret technical diagrams, communication skills, and problem-solving skills. It is also important to stay updated with the latest advancements in PLC technology and industrial automation.