Mechanical / Control Engineer applying for Electrical roles?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of applying for a job in the control industry, despite not having an electrical engineering degree. The speaker suggests that if the job mainly requires project management and PLC programming, then it is worth applying for. They also mention that many mechanical engineers have experience with coding for PLCs. The other person in the conversation encourages the speaker to apply and reassures them that if their resume does not make it to the engineering manager, it is not a big deal.
Jones1987
Hi,

I assume this forum is not only for help with engineering problems, but also a community of experienced industrial engineers of all areas.

I'm graduating this year, with a mixture of knowledge from mechanical / control engineering, some of this has consisted of PLC and Matlab programming. I'm looking at all types of jobs out there in the control industry, however I found one which is stated as "Electrical" but from what I'm reading its an automation company (which I specifically took a module in) and requires mainly project management and PLC programming, which I have experience in.

Do you think I should still apply even thought I won't actually obtain an "Electrical" Engineering degree?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why wouldn't you apply? If you think you can fill the role that the company is looking for, then definitely apply. Plenty of mechanical engineers code ladder logic for PLCs.

If they are really stuck (and I doubt it) on whether or not your BS says EE or ME, they won't bring you in for an interview. Big whoop. It just means their HR department failed, and your resume didn't make it into the engineering managers hands.

Related to Mechanical / Control Engineer applying for Electrical roles?

1. What skills or experience do mechanical/control engineers have that make them suitable for electrical roles?

Mechanical and control engineers often have a strong background in mathematics, physics, and problem-solving, which are all essential skills in electrical engineering. They also have experience with computer-aided design (CAD) software and knowledge of different manufacturing processes, which are transferable skills in the electrical engineering field.

2. Do mechanical/control engineers need to have a background in electrical engineering to apply for electrical roles?

No, a background in electrical engineering is not necessary for mechanical/control engineers to apply for electrical roles. However, having some knowledge of electrical principles and systems can be an advantage in understanding the role and adapting to the new field.

3. Are there any specific courses or certifications that mechanical/control engineers should take to prepare for electrical roles?

While not necessary, taking courses or getting certifications in electrical engineering topics such as circuit analysis, power systems, and electronics can help mechanical/control engineers strengthen their knowledge and skills in this field.

4. How can mechanical/control engineers showcase their electrical engineering knowledge and skills in their job applications?

Mechanical/control engineers can highlight any relevant coursework, projects, or internships related to electrical engineering in their resume and cover letter. They can also mention any transferable skills, such as problem-solving and CAD experience, that are applicable to the position.

5. How can mechanical/control engineers prepare for technical interviews for electrical roles?

Mechanical/control engineers can review fundamental electrical engineering concepts and practice solving problems related to the position they are applying for. They can also research the company and its products to understand the specific skills and knowledge required for the role and be prepared to discuss their relevant experience and qualifications.