Which Physics Journal is Best for Second-Year Undergraduates?

In summary, the Society of Physics Students gets you a free one-year membership in the American Physical Society and a subscription to one of the following journals: Physical Review Letters, Physical Review A-E, or Review of Modern Physics. For a second-year undergraduate, which of these journals would be best? (Out of the Physical Review A-E, my likely choice would be D, but I'm not sure whether to pick D, Letters, or Modern.) PRL is more prestigious than the other PR's and the articles are usually shorter and harder to follow. I'm not totally sure, but I think that RMP articles are usually longer and more in depth so perhaps they would be good for learning (although, they are probably just
Pathway
I'm signing up for the Society of Physics Students, which gets me a free 1-year membership in the American Physical Society and a subscription to one of the following journals:

Physical Review Letters
Physical Review A-E
Review of Modern Physics

For a second-year undergraduate, which of these journals would be best? (Out of the Physical Review A-E, my likely choice would be D, but I'm not sure whether to pick D, Letters, or Modern.)

Physics news on Phys.org
PRL is more prestigious than the other PR's and the articles are usually shorter and harder to follow. I'm not totally sure, but I think that RMP articles are usually longer and more in depth so perhaps they would be good for learning (although, they are probably just boring).

Personally, I would pick PRL.

When you say "good for learning," what do you mean? Is it something I, as an undergraduate, would learn from--or would it just be way over my head? I haven't even had multivariable calculus officially yet (though I've used a bit in physics), let alone abstract algebra or complex analysis. We've covered mechanics, special relativity, quantum mechanics, and E&M.

Pathway said:
my likely choice would be D

What is your field of interest?
I assume that you know that D is "Particles, Fields, Gravitation, and Cosmology".

Does your institution have online access?
If so, you might wish to look over what kind of articles are in each.
Here is Phys.Rev. D: http://prd.aps.org/. The others are available through that site as well.

My institution probably has online access--but it doesn't do me any good since I'm hundreds of miles away.

I recommend choosing Reviews of Modern Physics. Review articles tend to have broader appeal and to be written for a broader audience than journal papers. A paper subscription to PRL or PR[A-E] is likely to be overwhelming, and chances are that you have online electronic access to those journals anyway though your university.

Pathway said:
When you say "good for learning," what do you mean? Is it something I, as an undergraduate, would learn from--or would it just be way over my head?

Sure, it will be way over your head--I'm a 5th year physics grad student and most of the damn articles are way over my head. But maybe you can at least familiarize yourself with the language, and perhaps you will learn something too.

After all, S. Weinberg has said that in physics it is often useful to swim towards rough waters...

As a college student or faculty member of a university you should have free online access to journals through your library.

Talk to a librarian at your school they should be able to tell you how. Your school's website may also have that information.

Last edited:

Related to Which Physics Journal is Best for Second-Year Undergraduates?

1. What is a Physics Journal Subscription?

A Physics Journal Subscription is a service that provides access to a specific journal or a collection of journals related to the field of physics. It allows individuals or institutions to stay updated on the latest research and developments in the field.

2. How do I subscribe to a Physics Journal?

To subscribe to a Physics Journal, you can visit the journal's website and follow the instructions for subscription. Alternatively, you can also subscribe through a database or an online platform that offers access to multiple journals.

3. What types of journals are included in a Physics Journal Subscription?

A Physics Journal Subscription can include various types of journals, such as peer-reviewed research journals, review journals, and conference proceedings. It may also include journals from different subfields of physics, such as astrophysics, quantum physics, and particle physics.

4. Are Physics Journal Subscriptions expensive?

The cost of a Physics Journal Subscription can vary depending on the journal and the subscription package. Some journals may offer individual subscriptions at a lower cost, while institutions may have to pay a higher price for access. However, many institutions offer access to these journals for free to their students and faculty.

5. Can I access Physics Journals through open access?

Some Physics Journals may offer open access options, where the articles are available to read and download for free. However, many journals require a subscription for access. Alternatively, you can also find preprint versions of articles on preprint servers such as arXiv, which are free to access.