Which Major? Physics or Mech. Engineering?

In summary, pursuing a major in Physics may limit career options after earning a Bachelor's degree, unless one is considering a career in teaching or pursuing a PhD. While engineering is a more practical option with a wider range of job opportunities, geophysics is also a viable option with a positive career outlook in the Earth sciences field. It is important to carefully consider career goals and opportunities before deciding on a major.
WallyP
Greetings, I'm entering my first semester as an undergraduate student with a major in Physics. I enjoy learning about various applications of Physics and using mathematics to solve certain problems arising from such, and I'm just wondering which major has the best career options after earning a Bachelor's degree.

Physics news on Phys.org
Engineering.

As much as I love studying and learning about pure Physics, I am just worried about my career options after I attain a Bachelor's degree. I'm already enrolled in a Materials Science course this semester as an elective, just in case I need it later on in my studies.

I am just worried about my career options after I attain a Bachelor's degree.

You should be, because there aren't many. Not many that will be unique to your degree that is. The regular ol' jobs that require any degree at all will of course be open to you.

Last edited:
I know where you are coming from. I really love learning about new discoveries in physics, but engineering is where you can make a living. If you are worried about getting work, then you should definitely go with Mechanical Engineering. Mechanical Engineers are always in need and the discipline is so broad you can get into almost any industry. If you do go with mechanical engineering take advantage of the opportunity to learn CAD, especially Solidworks. Companies are always looking for engineers with CAD experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually wouldn't recommend anyone to major in physics unless they were dead set on grad school.

1MileCrash said:
I usually wouldn't recommend anyone to major in physics unless they were dead set on grad school.

Actually in my area, high school science and physics teachers are in VERY high demand. So, if teaching was something that might be up your alley, that is something that you could consider.

However, when it comes to physics, it seems like you either get your bachelors and pursue a high school teaching position, or you go all the way and get your PhD. It seems like getting your masters puts you in an in-between place that limits your job opportunities. This is at least from what I have come to understand.

Geophysics...Why doesn't anyone ever mention geophysics? I'm a physics major in my second year and am majoring in physics because I eventually want to become a geophysicist. From what I've read, it seems that the career outlook for physicists working in the Earth sciences is pretty good. Am I mistaken?

Related to Which Major? Physics or Mech. Engineering?

1. What is the main difference between Physics and Mechanical Engineering?

The main difference between Physics and Mechanical Engineering is that Physics is a natural science that focuses on the study of matter, energy, and their interactions, while Mechanical Engineering is an applied science that involves the design, construction, and use of machines and mechanical systems.

2. Which major offers better job prospects?

Both Physics and Mechanical Engineering majors have excellent job prospects. Physics majors can pursue careers in research, education, and various industries such as aerospace, telecommunications, and energy. Mechanical Engineering majors can work in fields such as product design, manufacturing, and aerospace engineering.

3. Are there any similarities between Physics and Mechanical Engineering?

Yes, there are some similarities between the two majors. Both require a strong foundation in mathematics and problem-solving skills. They also both involve the use of scientific principles to understand and analyze the physical world.

4. Which major is more suitable for someone interested in research?

Both majors offer opportunities for research, but Physics may be more suitable for someone interested in pursuing research as a career. Physics majors often have more opportunities for research involvement during their undergraduate studies and can specialize in various subfields such as astrophysics, particle physics, or condensed matter physics.

5. Can I switch between majors if I change my mind?

It is possible to switch between Physics and Mechanical Engineering majors, but it may require additional coursework and may delay your graduation. It is important to carefully consider your interests and career goals before making a decision to avoid any complications.