Which equation would you tattoo in your body?

In summary, when asked about getting a tattoo of an equation, the conversation participants expressed mixed opinions. Some felt that it would be trying too hard to look smart, while others thought it would be a cool way to express their love for math. Suggestions for potential equations included the sum of prime numbers and the fundamental theorem of calculus, while others preferred equations that were visually appealing. Ultimately, the decision to get a math tattoo is a personal one and depends on one's individual preferences and beliefs.
Casco
Write your equation and a reason why would you tattoo it in your body.

Not necessarily means that you are going to do it. This is just an imaginary situation. Please just write a comment answering the question above, if do not, just do not write other kind of commentaries. I do not want this to become a discussion about if you would do or do not do a tattoo of equations.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

None. And if I did get a tattoo, it wouldn't be an equation, cause I'd think people would think I'm trying too hard to look smart. And it would be pretty awkward when they find out that I'm not smart.

I had better be one that you understand quite well, so you can explain it without trouble. (Just a suggestion.) And it should be concise. Not a great idea to have Einstein's Field equations tattooed on your back, unless you trust the artist not to screw up the notation...

turbo said:
I had better be one that you understand quite well, so you can explain it without trouble. (Just a suggestion.) And it should be concise. Not a great idea to have Einstein's Field equations tattooed on your back, unless you trust the artist not to screw up the notation...

leroyjenkens said:
None. And if I did get a tattoo, it wouldn't be an equation, cause I'd think people would think I'm trying too hard to look smart. And it would be pretty awkward when they find out that I'm not smart.

I changed the post, please read it again. I am sorry that I did not specify.

Not that I would ever do it (sorry to the OP :smile: ),but if I would then it would be

[tex]\sum_{p~\text{prime}}\frac{1}{1-p^{-2}} = \frac{\pi^2}{6}[/tex]

This my favorite math formula because it relates two (apparent) complete distinct fields of mathematics.

On the left, we have the prime numbers. They have to do with number theory and arithmetic.
On the left, we have [itex]\pi[/itex] which comes from geometry.

There is nothing which suggests why these two could be related. But they are! These deep and surprising connection on math is what makes it such a beautiful field to study.

I think you mean:
[tex] \prod_{p-prime}\frac{1}{1-p^{-2}} = \frac{\pi^2}{6}[/tex]

phyzguy said:
I think you mean:
[tex] \prod_{p-prime}\frac{1}{1-p^{-2}} = \frac{\pi^2}{6}[/tex]

Of course I did :redface: Imagine me getting a tattoo of the sum version...

Casco said:
I changed the post, please read it again. I am sorry that I did not specify.

Ok, I should have known that's what you meant.

On one hand, I would want a cool looking one, but on the other hand, I would want something that means a lot to me.
The quadratic formula and the pathagorean formula are the simplest ones that have been most useful to me, so I would probably get either one of those.
Or I would get that one formula which includes e, pi, and i, which is pretty cool.

leroyjenkens said:
Or I would get that one formula which includes e, pi, and i, which is pretty cool.

ei π = -1

I've always liked that one.

The fundamental theorem of calculus might be cool.

I'll think about it more, not that I'd ever get a math tattoo though. I'd almost be inclined to pick one that looks intricate / pretty rather than one of the famous equations like Euler.

My avatar

[itex]\nabla \cdot \vec{B}=\rho_{0}[/itex]

This would be nice, even if it is not true.

<<- i is not real ->>
Meaning Re(i) = 0.

Not the tattoo type, but perhaps:
[tex]C_{m_{\alpha}} = -C_{l_{\alpha}}\left(\bar{x}_{AC}-\bar{x}_{CG}\right)[/tex]
or
[tex]\frac{^\mathcal{N}\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}t}\mathbf{r} = \frac{^\mathcal{B}\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}t}\mathbf{r} + \boldsymbol{\omega}_{\mathcal{B}/\mathcal{N}} \times \mathbf{r}[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Which equation would you tattoo in your body?

1. What is the most common equation that scientists would choose to tattoo on their body?

The most common equation that scientists would choose to tattoo on their body varies, as different scientists have different specialties and interests. However, some popular choices include Einstein's famous equation E=mc², Schrödinger's wave equation, and the Pythagorean theorem.

2. Why would a scientist want to permanently ink an equation on their body?

Scientists may choose to tattoo an equation on their body as a way to express their passion and dedication to their field of study. It can also serve as a reminder of a breakthrough or important discovery in their career.

3. Are there any equations that are considered taboo or inappropriate for a scientist to tattoo on their body?

There are no specific equations that are considered taboo for a scientist to tattoo on their body. However, as with any tattoo, it is important to consider the potential implications and consequences before getting inked.

4. Can a scientist change their mind and remove the equation tattoo in the future?

Yes, a scientist can choose to remove their equation tattoo in the future through various methods such as laser removal or cover-up tattoos. However, it is important to carefully consider the decision to get a permanent tattoo beforehand.

5. Are there any famous scientists who have equations tattooed on their body?

Yes, there are several famous scientists who have equations tattooed on their body. For example, physicist Neil deGrasse Tyson has a tattoo of the equation for the Drake equation, which is used to estimate the number of active, communicative extraterrestrial civilizations in the Milky Way galaxy.