Which engineering branch to opt for Nanotechnology

In summary, a career in Materials Science seems like the best bet for someone who wants to pursue Nanotechnology.
AGNuke
Gold Member
I've finally given my college entrance test (The IIT-JEE). And I am expecting a decent rank to join in one of the premier institutes of India.

I want to pursue my interests in Nanotechnology, because I think it has a great scope for future research and I want to do the same. But I don't know which branch to take so as to get the knowledge aimed at Nanotech.

So I'd like to know via which of the following courses will I be able to learn about Nanotechnology and be more able to pursue further career in it - (these are the probable options for me). Please explain me what I can expect to learn under these branches.

1. Biotechnology - I have a feeling it has something to do with engineering the nanomachines of the nature itself - the cells.

2. Engineering Physics OR (w/ Specialization in Nano Science)* - I am not sure if I can get it with latter, but still, is this the real deal?

Also, I'd appreciate if you give me your personal inputs on this, on how to plan my academic future. I'd surely give a good thinking to them.

Physics news on Phys.org
I want a career prospect in Carbon Nanotechnology. And according to my findings, Materials Science deals with the exotic material, carbon nanostructures being no exception.

I'd really appreciate if someone enlighten me regarding the career prospects should I take up this Materials Science branch...

Sounds like you've got it right already. Engineering physics or materials science should be the best bets, although it probably varies from uni to uni, and what you would like your plan B to be. If you are 100% set on nano, both would probably be fine.

I got confused after reading the name Nanoscience in the Engineering Physics' specialization course, but I suppose it is not about the Nanoscience I was hoping, which is Carbon Nanoscience (Fullerenes, Nanotubes and now hot Graphene), on wikipedia, Materials Science clearly depicts its dealing with Carbon Nanomaterial.

I am also aware about the variation each institution is to offer. But it is my belief that the core structure of the branch shouldn't deviate too much. As for what I'll miss out (in this case, Nanotech), I'll try to look into it from other sources.

What I am really concerned about is the career prospect in Materials Science, in case things don't know my way (it generally doesn't go by the way). I need to know, in worst case scenario, where I'll end up.

As for Plan B, I can join Computer Science at a lower leveled institute, while it'll guarantee a staple career, I don't want to be mere carpet-dweller.

AGNuke said:
I got confused after reading the name Nanoscience in the Engineering Physics' specialization course, but I suppose it is not about the Nanoscience I was hoping, which is Carbon Nanoscience (Fullerenes, Nanotubes and now hot Graphene), on wikipedia, Materials Science clearly depicts its dealing with Carbon Nanomaterial.

I am also aware about the variation each institution is to offer. But it is my belief that the core structure of the branch shouldn't deviate too much. As for what I'll miss out (in this case, Nanotech), I'll try to look into it from other sources.

What I am really concerned about is the career prospect in Materials Science, in case things don't know my way (it generally doesn't go by the way). I need to know, in worst case scenario, where I'll end up.

As for Plan B, I can join Computer Science at a lower leveled institute, while it'll guarantee a staple career, I don't want to be mere carpet-dweller.

Nano isn't an established discipline like mechanical engineering so there's a good chance the local curriculums will vary extremely widely, especially given the inter-disciplinary flavor of nanoscience. Just sayin'

Good Point. Can't argue with it. But still, there's an overall taste of Materials Science, which deals in different materials, like Ceramics, Refractory, etc. so even if I can't get away with NanoTech, at least the more established materials can provide me a viable career option. So, my question simply shift to the Career Prospect in this discipline.

Related to Which engineering branch to opt for Nanotechnology

What is nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology is a branch of science and engineering that deals with the manipulation of matter on an atomic and molecular scale. It involves the design, production, and application of structures, devices, and systems at the nanoscale, which is on the order of 1 to 100 nanometers.

What are the different engineering branches that involve nanotechnology?

The main engineering branches that involve nanotechnology are chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, materials engineering, and biomedical engineering. These branches utilize nanotechnology to develop new materials, devices, and systems with unique properties and applications.

Which engineering branch is the best for a career in nanotechnology?

There is no single "best" engineering branch for a career in nanotechnology as each branch has its own applications and opportunities in this field. It is important to consider your interests and strengths when choosing a branch, as well as the specific focus and research opportunities available in each branch at your desired university.

What skills are required for a career in nanotechnology?

Some important skills for a career in nanotechnology include a strong foundation in mathematics and science, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and proficiency in lab techniques and technology. Additionally, communication and teamwork skills are important for collaborating with other scientists and engineers to develop nanotechnology solutions.

Is a degree in nanotechnology necessary for a career in this field?

While a degree specifically in nanotechnology is not always necessary, a strong background in science and engineering is important for a career in this field. Many universities offer specialized programs in nanotechnology or have courses and research opportunities in this area within their engineering departments. It is also possible to gain experience and knowledge in nanotechnology through internships, workshops, and self-study.