12th Grade student, looking to do engineering

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's dilemma in deciding which type of engineering to prioritize for their university applications in Canada. They are interested in mechanical engineering, but also considering electrical engineering and nanotechnology engineering. The speaker is unsure about the admission process and which field would offer more career options. Ultimately, it is up to the speaker to decide based on their own preferences and goals, as all three fields offer different career paths and opportunities.
Fifty
I have applied to various universities in Canada for mechanical engineering. That is, I applied to general engineering, but all of the schools require supplementary applications on which you specify which type of engineering you want to pursue. At the University of Waterloo in Ontario, they offer mechanical engineering, nanotechnology engineering and electrical engineering as an undergrad. I think I am most interested in mechanical engineering (with which I could pursue post-grad education in aerospace, which is what I have loved since I was a kid!) but it seems like electrical engineering and ESPECIALLY nanotechnology would have more career options (not that mechanical engineering would have few, but it seems like there would be more careers with more potential in nano and electrical).

Nano-tech is by far the hardest to get into, followed by mech, then electrical. On the application, you specify in order, your preference. Electrical is the easiest to get into so I'm putting that third.

Edit: Sorry for the long post, I had no idea how long it was until I looked at it! Thanks for reading and thanks for the advice!

I don't know which to put first and second. If I put nano in first, then mech second, I might not get into nano and get secondary consideration for mech since I put that second and not get into either of them! But if I put mech in first, I'll be much more likely to get into mech but much less likely to get into nano.

I want to know a) whether which one you put first affects your admission to the program and b) your opinion on which is a wiser career path. I love physics (based on my high school education in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, special relativity and introductory quanum mechanics) in general at least as much as I love airplanes, so I do not think I will enjoy a career in aerospace THAT much more than I would in nanotechnology, but again, I think there is more potential in nano-tech. Is this true and if so, what would you recommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's ultimately up to you to decide which program to prioritize, as it really comes down to what kind of career you want to pursue and which field interests you the most. With regards to which path is wiser, it really depends on your own preferences and goals. All three fields are growing, and offer a variety of different career paths. Mechanical engineering will typically involve more design work, while electrical engineering focuses on circuits and electronics, and nanotechnology engineering revolves around materials science and nanoscale structures. You should consider all these factors when deciding which one to prioritize. Ultimately, choose the program that best fits your interests and ambitions.

Related to 12th Grade student, looking to do engineering

1. What is the process for becoming an engineer?

To become an engineer, you will typically need to complete a four-year Bachelor's degree in engineering from an accredited university. Some programs may require additional coursework or experience. After completing your degree, you may also need to pass a professional exam to become licensed as an engineer.

2. What skills are important for success in engineering?

Some important skills for success in engineering include strong mathematical and analytical skills, problem-solving ability, attention to detail, and creativity. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaborating with others on engineering projects.

3. Are there different types of engineering?

Yes, there are many different types of engineering, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, and computer engineering. Each type focuses on a specific aspect of technology and requires a different set of skills and knowledge.

4. What kind of job opportunities are available for engineers?

Engineers have a wide range of job opportunities, including working in industries such as manufacturing, construction, technology, and transportation. They may also work for government agencies, consulting firms, or as self-employed contractors.

5. What can I expect from an engineering program in college?

An engineering program in college will typically include a combination of coursework, laboratory work, and projects. You can expect to learn about engineering principles and theories, as well as gain hands-on experience designing and building solutions to real-world problems. You may also have the opportunity to participate in internships or co-op programs to gain practical experience in the field.