Which courses would suit my interests in college?

In summary, the person is interested in pursuing a career in development and creation of new technologies and devices, particularly for medicinal purposes. They are completing high school with a non-medical background and have considered courses such as biotechnology, bio-engineering, engineering physics, and bio-medical engineering. Other people have suggested taking core subjects like physics and/or computer science to prepare for graduate programs. The person is now confused about which courses to take and is seeking advice on the best undergraduate programs for their interests and knowledge.
ajitesh50
I want to have a career in development and creation of new technologies and devices (preferably for medicinal purposes).Kind of like Bio-engineering and nanotechnology combined.I am about to complete high school with Non-medical.People have got me quite confused about what should I do now.I searched around and looked up courses like Biotechnology,bio-engineering,engineering physics,bio-medical engineering.I thought these courses might be related to what I want to do.But I asked a couple of people they suggested that I take come core subjects like physics and/or computer science.They will get me in a strong position for any graduate program.They said courses like bio-engineering and engineering physics expose the students to a lot of topics,but they don't specialize in any particular one.now I am confused as to what should I do.Should I take courses like Biotechnology,engineering physics etc. or the common ones like computer science,physics.Given my interests and knowledge please advice me about the best UG programs for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
ajitesh50 said:
But I asked a couple of people they suggested that I take come core subjects like physics and/or computer science.They will get me in a strong position for any graduate program.They said courses like bio-engineering and engineering physics expose the students to a lot of topics,but they don't specialize in any particular one.

That doesn't make any sense. A BS in Bioengineering is a lot more specialized than a BS in physics or CS. But in general a BS in any subject isn't going to specialize in anything in particular other than giving you a basic understanding of the field in which you received your degree.

Related to Which courses would suit my interests in college?

1. What factors should I consider when choosing college courses?

When choosing college courses, it's important to consider your interests, career goals, and academic strengths. You should also take into account the course requirements for your chosen major and any prerequisites needed for future courses. Additionally, consider the teaching style and format of the course to ensure it aligns with your learning preferences.

2. How can I determine which courses align with my interests?

To determine which courses align with your interests, think about the subjects that you enjoy and excel in. Consider taking a career assessment or talking to an academic advisor for guidance. You can also explore different course descriptions and syllabi to see which topics and assignments pique your interest.

3. Is it important to take courses outside of my major?

Yes, it is important to take courses outside of your major. These courses, also known as electives, can expose you to new subjects and broaden your knowledge and skills. They can also help you develop a well-rounded education and make you a more marketable job candidate.

4. Should I prioritize courses that are required for my major?

It's important to prioritize courses that are required for your major to ensure you graduate on time and meet the necessary prerequisites for future courses. However, don't be afraid to also take elective courses that interest you and align with your career goals.

5. How can I balance my interests with my academic requirements?

Balancing your interests with your academic requirements can be challenging, but it's important to find a good balance to ensure you're both challenged and fulfilled. Consider taking a mix of required courses and electives that align with your interests. You can also talk to your advisor about potential course substitutions or creating an independent study to explore a specific topic.