Which elective on applied physics? Optics vs Material Science

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's intention to take applied physics courses as electives in their junior year. The courses available include Optics, Fiber Optics, Introduction to Material Science, and Introduction to Material Processing. The speaker asks for advice on which courses would be most beneficial and for any general advice. The expert suggests taking Optics and either Fiber Optics or Material Science, depending on the speaker's interests. They also mention that knowledge of optics is important in many fields of physics and suggest considering substituting some physics electives for mathematics courses. The conversation also touches on the speaker's previous knowledge of optics and their background in calculus and linear algebra.
Ashuron
I am pursuing my Bsc in Physics.
I am still in sophomore year.
This semester and next year I am intending to take some applied physics courses as electives.

I got choices for Junior level electives, which are:
-Optics: covers geometrical optics, interference, diffraction etc.
-Fiber Optics: covers waveguides, fiber fabrication, optical sources/detectors etc.
-Intro to Material Science: covers crystal structures, microstructures and microscopy, defects, phases etc.
-Intro to Material Processing: covers thin film preparation, chemical processing etc.

At most, I am able to take two course from the list.
In general, at this level, which ones do you think are most beneficial(practical purpose or for understanding)?
Please tell me any advices you have.
I have checked some similar thread in physicsforums. It seems some think optics at this level a bit dull.

Physics news on Phys.org
Optics is doable at the end of your first year, that's when my university teaches it. Fibre optics will probably require knowledge of optics. Material science is probably a prerequisite for material processing as well.
I would advise optics and either fibre optics or material science. It truly depends on where your interests lie, but optics is one of the most important subjects in physics, at least that's my experience because many optical methods are used in experiments.

Hey, thanks.
True, material processing course requires the material science course as pre-requisite.

In general, I lean on Optics. It seems important.
But, my department is known for its material science/condensed matter research.

I am still wondering is it even better to substitute those physics electives for mathematics.

A lot of condensed matter requires some knowledge of optics. I actually think it's weird that you're studying physics but have had no optics, because it's a first step to quantum mechanics.

I don't know what courses on math you've had, but if you've had calculus up to and including the integral theorems of Gauss and Stokes and some linear algebra (eigenvectors, diagonalizing matrices, systems of differential equations) I think you should be fine.

Well, optics as at the level of HRW were discussed in my intro phys course.
My impression is that since those applied physics courses I mentioned are supposed to be taken in my 3rd year of study, the optics course will examine the concepts deeper.

I took calc 3 and linear algebra classes btw.

Related to Which elective on applied physics? Optics vs Material Science

1. What is the difference between Optics and Material Science?

Optics is the study of light and its properties, while Material Science is the study of the properties and behavior of materials. Both fields are closely related and can overlap in certain areas.

2. Which elective will provide more hands-on experience?

This will depend on the specific courses offered at your institution. Generally, optics courses tend to have more practical lab components, while material science courses can involve more theoretical and computational work.

3. Which elective is more math-intensive?

Both Optics and Material Science involve a significant amount of mathematics. However, Optics may require a stronger background in Calculus and Differential Equations, while Material Science may incorporate more statistics and data analysis.

4. Which elective is more relevant for a career in engineering?

Both Optics and Material Science can be relevant to a career in engineering, depending on the specific field. Optics may be more applicable for careers in fields such as photonics, optics engineering, or telecommunications, while Material Science may be more relevant for fields such as materials engineering or nanotechnology.

5. Can I take both electives?

It depends on your institution's curriculum and course offerings. Some institutions may allow you to take both electives, while others may require you to choose one. It may also depend on your major and academic requirements. It is best to consult with an academic advisor for more information.