Which course should I do to study advanced nanotechnology?

In summary, the individual is currently studying nanotechnology as part of their BSc degree but is considering withdrawing due to the focus on chemistry and microscopy. They are considering pursuing a double major in Mechatronics engineering and physics instead. They are unsure if this is a good move and if they will be able to apply concepts from Mechatronics to futuristic nano concepts. They also mention that their university offers training courses in microscopy, which is necessary for nanotechnology.
solipsis
Which course should I do to study "advanced" nanotechnology?

Hi,

By "advanced" I mean futuristic concepts like nanorobotics, micro/nano electromechanical systems, programmable matter, metamaterials, etc.. Right now I am studying nanotechnology as part of the BSc (Uni of Western Australia), however I am having second thoughts. The degree is just basically physics (which I like), however the two units entitled "nanotechnology" are just chemistry lab safety and microscopy (sorta leaning towards the nanomaterials/chemistry side of things, which I DON'T like).

So I'm thinking about withdrawing from the nanotech course and doing a double major in Mechatronics engineering (BE) and physics (BSc). I only have a week left to make my decision, as the academic withdrawal date is getting closer and closer.

Is this a good move? Will I be able to apply the electrical, mechanical and computer science concepts I learn in Mechatronics to these futuristic nano concepts? Or is it a better idea to stick with the nanotech degree?

Physics news on Phys.org

Sorry for the double post, but I just thought I'd mention that my uni offers training courses in microscopy (SEM, TEM, SPM etc), so the unit I'm studying (and thinking about dropping) is really just the theory behind it. Basically if I withdraw from nanotech I can learn about microscopy, which is necessary for nanotechnology.

Related to Which course should I do to study advanced nanotechnology?

1. What is nanotechnology and why is it important?

Nanotechnology is the study and manipulation of matter on a nanoscale, typically between 1 to 100 nanometers. It is important because it has the potential to revolutionize various industries, including medicine, electronics, and energy, by creating materials and devices with enhanced properties and functions.

2. What are the prerequisites for studying advanced nanotechnology?

The prerequisites for studying advanced nanotechnology may vary depending on the specific course or program. However, a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, chemistry, and biology is typically required. It is also beneficial to have knowledge of computer science and engineering concepts.

3. What are the career opportunities in the field of advanced nanotechnology?

The field of advanced nanotechnology offers a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as healthcare, energy, electronics, and materials science. Some common job titles include nanotechnology researcher, materials scientist, biomedical engineer, and nanofabrication engineer.

4. Is it necessary to have a background in nanotechnology to study advanced nanotechnology?

No, it is not necessary to have a background in nanotechnology to study advanced nanotechnology. Many courses and programs offer introductory courses to provide students with the necessary knowledge and skills to study at an advanced level. However, having a basic understanding of nanotechnology concepts can be helpful.

5. What are the top universities for studying advanced nanotechnology?

Some top universities for studying advanced nanotechnology include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), University of California, Berkeley, and National University of Singapore. It is important to research and compare different universities to find the best fit for your interests and career goals.