Which Calculus book is best for a physics major seeking a challenge?

In summary, the person is a sophomore Physics major looking for a solid review of Calculus. They have taken classes on Single and Multivariable Calculus before but found them to be too easy. They are interested in a book that will challenge them and help them hone their Calculus skills. They have considered using Spivak but are concerned about it being too much of a sidetrack from physics. They are interested in proofs related to physical phenomena and equations. They have also been recommended to use a mathematical methods book or a free ebook by Prof. Nearing.
Opus_723
I'm a sophomore Physics major, and I'm looking for a solid Calculus review. I've taken classes on Single and Multivariable Calculus before, but the classes didn't push that hard, and the problems in the book (Hughes-Hallett) are all a breeze. I'm looking for something that I can teach myself with and hone my Calculus skills.

I've considered Spivak, but some people say that the added rigor is not all that useful for physicists. I'm interested in doing proofs, but mostly proofs related to physical phenomenon and the equations that describe them, not proofs of the basic properties of integrals and such. (Actually, I'm very interested in both, but physics is my priority right now. I would love to come back to the other stuff later).

But maybe I'm wrong about Spivak. I haven't looked at it yet. I'm just worried it would be too much of a sidetrack from physics right now. If I'm wrong, I'd be glad to try it. But I do want a book that challenges me. I've only had the basic freshman calculus courses, and I'm starting to realize how little they've prepared me. I can do every problem in my Calculus book in at most a couple minutes, which seems a bit silly. I think it speaks poorly to the exercises rather than highly of my skills.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any mathematical methods in physics book would be helpful.

I agree with Opus 723: a math methods for physics may be the best place to start. Such a book covers basic linear algebra and differential equations - you didn't mention taking those courses but their content is essential. Math methods books will also cover other topics that are of use (some selection of complex variables, partial differential equations, vector calculus, etc). Emphasis will be approximately what you seem to be looking for. Lots of folks around here like the book by Boas.

There is also a well written free ebook by Prof. Nearing that might fit the bill:
http://www.physics.miami.edu/~nearing/mathmethods/

best of luck,

jason

Thanks for that link to the ebook, from my first glance through, that looks like exactly what I need.

I can understand your frustration with the lack of rigor and challenge in your previous calculus courses. It is important for a physicist to have a strong foundation in calculus, as it is a fundamental tool for understanding and describing physical phenomena.

I would recommend taking a look at the book "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas. This book is specifically designed for physics students and covers a wide range of mathematical topics, including calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra, all with an emphasis on applications to physics.

Another option is "Calculus for Scientists and Engineers" by William Briggs and Lyle Cochran. This book also focuses on applying calculus to real-world problems in science and engineering.

Both of these books should provide the challenge and rigor that you are looking for, while also being applicable to your studies in physics. It is important to have a strong understanding of the mathematical concepts and techniques used in physics, and these books can help you achieve that.

I would also encourage you to continue exploring and learning about proofs and their applications in physics. While it may not be your top priority at the moment, having a solid understanding of mathematical proofs can greatly enhance your understanding and problem-solving abilities in physics.

I hope this helps and wish you the best in your studies. Keep pushing yourself and never stop learning!

Related to Which Calculus book is best for a physics major seeking a challenge?

1. What is the purpose of a Calculus book for Physicist?

A Calculus book for Physicist is designed to teach the mathematical concepts and techniques necessary for understanding and solving problems in physics. It covers topics such as derivatives, integrals, and differential equations, which are essential for analyzing and describing physical phenomena.

2. Is a Calculus book for Physicist suitable for beginners?

It depends on the specific book and the individual's level of mathematical background. Some Calculus books for Physicist may assume a basic understanding of algebra and trigonometry, while others may start from the very basics. It's important to carefully research and choose a book that aligns with your current level of knowledge.

3. Can a Calculus book for Physicist be used for self-study?

Yes, many Calculus books for Physicist are designed for self-study and include practice problems and solutions to help readers learn at their own pace. However, it's important to supplement self-study with additional resources, such as online tutorials or a study group, to ensure a thorough understanding of the material.

4. Are there specific Calculus books for Physicist for different branches of physics?

Yes, some Calculus books for Physicist may focus on specific branches of physics, such as mechanics or electromagnetism. It's important to choose a book that aligns with the specific areas of physics you are interested in or studying.

5. How can a Calculus book for Physicist benefit a scientist?

A Calculus book for Physicist can benefit a scientist by providing them with the mathematical tools needed to analyze and solve complex problems in physics. It can also help scientists understand and apply mathematical concepts in other areas of science and research.