Looking for an Introductory Physics Book without Flashy Presentation?

In summary, the conversation is about recommendations for a first course on the subjects of "University Physics (Young)" and "Fundamentals of Physics (Halliday)" that are not flashy or full of superficial information. Suggestions include the early editions of Halliday/Resnick and Sears/Zemansky, "Fundamental University Physics" by Alonso and Finn, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett, "Mechanics, Molecular Physics, Heat and Sound" by Millikan, Roller, and Watson, "Principles of Electrodynamics" by Schwartz, and "Fundamentals of Electricity and Magnetism" by Kipp. Some of these recommendations are more advanced and may require a strong understanding of special relativity
DanielJorge
Are there any books that are NOT like "University Physics (Young)" / "Fundamentals of Physics (Halliday)" in presentation, but that are suitable for a first course on the subjects of those books? The mentioned books are too "flashy", full of colorful boxes, etc. I don't like this and I find it too distracting and full of superficial information. I'm looking for something like the Landau series, but at the introductory level, since the Landau series are way, way, way out of my league.

As an analogy, I want Calculus by Apostol / Spivak / Courant instead of Stewart but for the subjects covered in "University Physics (Young)" / "Fundamentals of Physics (Halliday)".

Thank you!

Likes dextercioby and Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
The Feynman Lectures :-)

Likes Rossetei, DanielJorge, Hamiltonian and 1 other person
Landau wrote an introductory book too yano, it’s called general physics

• Informative
Likes DanielJorge and Hamiltonian
DanielJorge said:
Are there any books that are NOT like "University Physics (Young)" / "Fundamentals of Physics (Halliday)" in presentation, but that are suitable for a first course on the subjects of those books? The mentioned books are too "flashy", full of colorful boxes, etc. I don't like this and I find it too distracting and full of superficial information.

The early editions of Halliday/Resnick and Sears/Zemansky do not have the distracting colors, boxes, etc.

You can borrow these online at

[archive.org links deleted by the Mentors due to copyright concerns]

(Registration required)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes DanielJorge and Hamiltonian
Fundamental University Physics by Alonso and Finn is really good. However, it is hard to find.

Likes DanielJorge
Mondayman said:
Fundamental University Physics by Alonso and Finn is really good. However, it is hard to find.
I second this. Though I have to say that Young and Halliday have good set of exercises.

Likes DanielJorge
I am using physics for scientist and engineers 9th edition by Serway and Jewett

Likes DanielJorge and Delta2
Mechanics, molecular physics, heat and sound by Milikan, Roller and Watson

Probably the best introductory book I have ever read albeit being an old text. Kinda sad that the authors haven't written an introductory text on electrodynamics and other topics.

For contemporary introductory texts, I think the open yale course by R.Shankar does a great job.

Fundamentals of Physics: Mechanics, Relativity, and Thermodynamics (The Open Yale Courses Series)

Fundamentals of Physics II: Electromagnetism, Optics, and Quantum Mechanics (The Open Yale Courses Series)

Last edited:
Likes Hamiltonian, TSny, DanielJorge and 1 other person
Substitute Purcell with Schwartz, Principles of Electrodynamics, which is much better to understand.

Likes madscientist_93
vanhees71 said:
Substitute Purcell with Schwartz, Principles of Electrodynamics, which is much better to understand.
Isn't this book a little more advanced than Purcell? I've read it kind of bridges the gap from Griffiths to Jackson.

Likes madscientist_93
Mondayman said:
Isn't this book a little more advanced than Purcell? I've read it kind of bridges the gap from Griffiths to Jackson.
Yes. Schwartz's book is a little advanced but If the student is confident with special relativity, i think its better than purcell / griffiths' books.

For a good intro EM book,I prefer Kipp: Fundamentals Of Electricity of Magnetism. It is very well written and concise.

Likes Viishnuuu and madscientist_93

1. What is the best introductory physics book for beginners?

The best introductory physics book for beginners depends on the individual's learning style and background knowledge. Some popular options include "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett.

2. Are there any introductory physics books that don't require a strong math background?

Yes, there are some introductory physics books that focus more on conceptual understanding and less on mathematical equations. Examples include "Conceptual Physics" by Hewitt and "The Cartoon Guide to Physics" by Gonick and Huffman.

3. Can I use an introductory physics book as a self-study guide?

Yes, many introductory physics books are designed for self-study and include practice problems and detailed explanations. However, it may be helpful to have a tutor or instructor available for clarification and additional support.

4. Are there any online resources that can supplement an introductory physics book?

Yes, there are many online resources such as Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and OpenStax that provide additional explanations, videos, and practice problems for introductory physics concepts.

5. How can I choose the right introductory physics book for my course or needs?

When choosing an introductory physics book, consider your learning style, level of math proficiency, and the topics covered in the book. It may also be helpful to read reviews and consult with a teacher or tutor for recommendations.