Where to find physics talks/lectures for hobbyists?

• Thread starter mariel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the individual is looking for in-person physics talks or lectures in the Washington DC area. They have searched online and checked university websites, but have only found material for professionals or students. They have a strong interest in popular science and are currently reading "The Quantum Universe". They also mention specific topics they are interested in, such as quantum mechanics and the Higgs boson. They ask for recommendations for in-person lectures and mention their preference for attending these in addition to reading books and watching TV shows. Other users suggest popular science books and videos, as well as online resources like MIT Open Courseware. They also suggest checking local colleges and universities, professional societies, and science cafes for lectures and events. Finally, they recommend searching for science
mariel
Hello everyone! I am brand new here, I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a website or organization where I can find physics talks I can go to. I live near Washington DC.

I've google-searched everything I can think of, and checked the Georgetown Physics dept website also. Everything I find seems to be for professionals or students, and I am neither.

I've always been interested in science but recently got totally addicted to it thanks to Prof Brian Cox and Neil DeGrasse Tyson. I'm reading "The Quantum Universe" and really want to learn more about quantum mechanics, particle physics and the Higgs boson. I would love to go to some in-person lectures in addition to reading books and watching TV shows. Can anyone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're looking for popular science right?

There are lots of good popular physics books by Stephen Hawking. Try reading "A Brief History of Time", "A Briefer History of Time" and "The Grand Design".

You might also want to watch a little Feynman. User micromass shared these excellent videos with me a few days ago on PF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mhkYbznBk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgaw9qe7DEE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3pYRn5j7oI

There's also this great talk by Murray Gell-mann
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuRxRGR3VpM

As for TV Shows. Cosmos: A Personal Voyage by Carl Sagan is available on Youtube. It is (in my opinion) the best popular science TV Series of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dADUBcoEEHw

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm actually looking for information about in-person lectures.

There are physics related lectures on MIT Open Courseware

EDIT: They're not in-person, but they should be helpful.

Last edited:
Check out local colleges and universities. They often host guest speakers on a variety of topics. Professional societies will host symposiums, too.

Also look for Science Cafes in your area.

You might look for a science-oriented group on Meetup.

What university are you close to? Try contacting them.

Our local university does a monthly community outreach presentation. The lectures cover a wide range of scientific topics. It is not always the polular main stream stuff but interesting none the less. Maybe they have something like this in your area.

The American Institute of Physics, American Physical Society, and the University of Maryland are in College Park, just northeast of Washington. NASA Goddard is next to them in Greenbelt. NASA itself is in Washington as I am sure you know. In nearby Baltimore you have Johns Hopkins University and the Space Telescope Science Institute, as well as the University of Maryland in Baltimore County. You already know about Georgetown University, and you may want to see if George Washington University is having any happenings. AFAIK most if not all of the places I listed have events open to the public related to physics and cosmology, though they may not scratch the itch you are looking to scratch.

lisab said:
Check out local colleges and universities. They often host guest speakers on a variety of topics. Professional societies will host symposiums, too.

Also look for Science Cafes in your area.

You might look for a science-oriented group on Meetup.

Yes I would like to echo this. At my university senior seminar and an introductory class for physics majors are open to all who would like to attend...even the public. The introductory seminars are usually great for people who want to understand topics without getting too in depth with equations ...until a nuclear astrophysicist walks in:biggrin:

Related to Where to find physics talks/lectures for hobbyists?

1. Where can I find physics talks/lectures for hobbyists?

There are several websites that offer physics talks and lectures for hobbyists. Some popular options include TED Talks, YouTube channels such as Sixty Symbols and Veritasium, and online platforms like Coursera and edX. Additionally, many universities and research institutions offer free talks and lectures that can be accessed online.

2. Are there any in-person physics talks/lectures for hobbyists?

Yes, there are often local science clubs or organizations that host in-person talks and lectures for hobbyists. You can also check with nearby universities to see if they have any public lectures or events open to the community.

3. Are there any specific topics that are commonly covered in physics talks/lectures for hobbyists?

The topics covered in physics talks and lectures for hobbyists can vary greatly. Some may focus on specific areas of physics, such as astrophysics or quantum mechanics, while others may cover broad topics like the history of physics or current research developments. It is best to explore different sources to find talks that align with your interests.

4. Do I need a background in physics to understand these talks/lectures?

It depends on the level of the talk/lecture and your own familiarity with physics. Some talks may be geared towards a general audience and require no prior knowledge, while others may be more technical and assume some level of understanding. It is always helpful to do some background research on the topic beforehand, but ultimately, anyone with an interest in physics can benefit from these talks.

5. Is there a cost to access these physics talks/lectures?

Many of the online resources for physics talks and lectures are free to access, but some may require a paid subscription. In-person talks and lectures may also have a small admission fee. However, there are also many free options available, so it is not necessary to spend money to access these resources.