Where should I pursue a PhD in Applied Math or Mathematical Physics?

In summary, The individual is seeking guidance on where to pursue a PhD in Applied Math or Mathematical Physics, with research interests in PDE's, classical mechanics/electrodynamics, and interdisciplinary work. They prefer a program in Canada or Europe, but are open to US institutions. The Applied and Interdisciplinary Math program at the University of Michigan is the most attractive option mentioned. Other programs mentioned include the Courant Institute of NYU and the University of Cambridge's Centre for Analysis. The individual is interested in applied math programs in the UK and is specifically interested in hyperbolic PDE's and mathematical modeling with applications in electromagnetic theory and the life sciences. They are also interested in inverse problems and are currently working on analytical and numerical methods for hyper
aber_leider
Hi everyone, this is my fist post, I am seeking some guidance on where to pursue a PhD. degree on Applied Math or Mathematical Physics. I got my Bachelor's on Physics and right now I'm on the second half of a Master's in math. I'm planning to apply soon for a PhD but I've got no real idea where should I do it. My main research interests are PDE's (both analytical and numerical methods) classical mechanics/electrodynamics, but i really want to do some interdisciplinary work. I would prefer a program in Canada or Europe, but I'm open to US institutions also.- In fact the most attractive program I've seen is the Applied and Interdisciplinary Math in Michigan.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
The Courant Institute of NYU is really good in applied math.

Since you mentioned Europe in the original post, you may want to check out the University of Cambridge's Centre for Analysis (CCA) - http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/postgrad/cca/.

Hey that Cambridge program sounds great, definitely something to think about. Anyone actually enrolled in it?

Also i should add that i migh not be looking for Ivies, or Oxbridge kinda school. I'm looking for a good comprehensive program rather than a top flight name.

It seems like applied math ain't very popular around. Anyone who might not be on and applied math program but that might know something about that program on the grad school they attend?

aber_leider said:
It seems like applied math ain't very popular around. Anyone who might not be on and applied math program but that might know something about that program on the grad school they attend?
I'm very interested in applied math, but I'm still a year or two away from completing my undergrad. There are programs out there. I only know about the US applied math programs.

Below are some links to a few applied math programs around the UK (besides Oxford and Cambridge):

http://ambio1.leeds.ac.uk/applied/
http://www.maths.ed.ac.uk/

Which area(s) of applied mathematics are you interested in?

EDIT: Try this link (change the filters to meet your specific needs): http://www.gradschools.com/ListingF...Id=226&Country=outsideusa&State=&ProgramType=

Hi, I've been working with hyperbolic PDE's for a while, analytical and numerical stuff. I guess that my areas of interest can be summarized by something like "mathematical modeling" with applications in electromagnetic theory, but i would like to learn on inverse problems and applications on the life sciences.

aber_leider said:
Hi, I've been working with hyperbolic PDE's for a while, analytical and numerical stuff. I guess that my areas of interest can be summarized by something like "mathematical modeling" with applications in electromagnetic theory, but i would like to learn on inverse problems and applications on the life sciences.

I'm also interested in that field of research (PDEs, mathematical modeling). What do you think about it?

Related to Where should I pursue a PhD in Applied Math or Mathematical Physics?

1. Where can I pursue an Applied Math PhD?

There are many universities around the world that offer Applied Math PhD programs. Some top institutions include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Stanford University, University of California-Berkeley, and University of Cambridge.

2. What are the admission requirements for an Applied Math PhD program?

Admission requirements vary among universities, but in general, applicants are expected to have a strong foundation in mathematics, statistics, and computer science. Most programs also require applicants to have a bachelor's or master's degree in a related field and submit GRE scores.

3. How long does it take to complete an Applied Math PhD program?

The average length of an Applied Math PhD program is 4-5 years, but this can vary depending on the individual's research topic and progress. Some programs also offer an accelerated track for students who already have a master's degree in a related field.

4. What career opportunities are available for graduates with an Applied Math PhD?

Graduates with an Applied Math PhD have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as finance, technology, healthcare, and government. They can work as data scientists, quantitative analysts, research scientists, or professors, among others.

5. Can I pursue an Applied Math PhD if my background is not in math?

Many universities offer bridge programs for students with non-math backgrounds who are interested in pursuing an Applied Math PhD. These programs provide foundational courses in math and computer science to prepare students for the rigorous coursework of a PhD program.