Where is the best place to work as a Theoretical Physicist?

In summary, if you want to become a theoretical physicist, you should study physics in a place where you can speak both English and French fluently. If you cannot find a place to do this, then you should consider becoming an independent scientist.
Jozefina
Hello. I'm finishing my last year of school and I have wanted to become a Theoretical Physicist at CERN for 2 years, so I want to get a PhD degree. Knowing that people at CERN speak both english and french, I decided to study Physics in Paris (bachelor-french, masters-english), but is it CERN really the best place to work as a Theoretical Physicist, or is it a good one? If not what would you recommend to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the best place for a theoretical physicist is to work at home as an independent scientist - if you can afford this.

This gives you true independence as a scientist, thus, you do not have to follow the actual fashion, but can develop your own approach.

Likes MathewsMD
I'm pretty sure that most theoretical particle physicists work at universities, simply because there are far more universities that do particle-physics research than there are places like CERN.

Most people working on experiments at CERN are actually professors, post-docs and graduate students from the universities that collaborate on the experiments. They visit CERN to help build the apparatus and then run it while the experiment is in progress.

As a practical matter, the best place to work is the place that will hire you. Very, very few theorists can look around and say "there - I believe I shall work there".

Jozefina said:
Hello. I'm finishing my last year of school and I have wanted to become a Theoretical Physicist at CERN for 2 years, so I want to get a PhD degree. Knowing that people at CERN speak both english and french, I decided to study Physics in Paris (bachelor-french, masters-english), but is it CERN really the best place to work as a Theoretical Physicist, or is it a good one? If not what would you recommend to me?

There's a lot of myth here. You'll be very surprised that most of the people that appear to "work" at CERN are actually NOT EMPLOYED by CERN. Don't believe me? Look at one of the papers that came out of the LHC. You will see that the MAJORITY of the authors on such papers are employed by other research labs or, more importantly, employed by various different universities!

Facilities such as LHC, the Tevatron, various light sources, various neutron sources, etc.. etc. may reside in certain locations or laboratories, but these are all, to put it crudely, "users facilities"! Users from other parts of the country or the world come here to either collaborate, or do their research. This is even true for institutions such as NASA, where other laboratories and universities either get research grant money, collaborate, or work with NASA, but they are not employed by NASA.

So just because you hear so-and-so works at CERN, or such-and-such a facility is at CERN, it doesn't mean that that person is employed by CERN!

Zz.

OP, I'd also like to take this opportunity to take offense with the term "Theoretical Physicist". First, it is not supposed to be capitalized. There is no special brand of physicists which are "Theoretical Physicists", there are only physicists who work primarily with theoretical methods. Second, only a minority of physicists (including theorists) work in fields which are associated with the work done at CERN or similar labs. And of the physicists who actually work there, a large fraction is *not* primarily concerned with the actual particle physics, but rather with the design and running of the beamlines, detectors, data analysis, etc.

As long as you cannot provide some concrete motives of what you actually want to achieve, and what skills you can bring to the table, the question of *where* to go is at best secondary.

Related to Where is the best place to work as a Theoretical Physicist?

1. What type of work environment is ideal for a theoretical physicist?

The ideal work environment for a theoretical physicist is one that provides access to cutting-edge technology and resources, collaboration with other experts in the field, and opportunities to attend conferences and present research. Additionally, a supportive and intellectually stimulating atmosphere is crucial for the advancement of theoretical physics.

2. What locations offer the best opportunities for theoretical physicists?

Some of the best locations for theoretical physicists include major research institutions, universities, and national laboratories. These locations often have state-of-the-art facilities and a strong community of researchers in the field of theoretical physics.

3. Is it better to work in academia or in the private sector as a theoretical physicist?

This largely depends on individual preferences and career goals. Working in academia offers the opportunity for research and teaching, while the private sector may offer more opportunities for practical applications of theoretical physics. Both have their own unique advantages and it ultimately comes down to personal preference.

4. Are there any specific countries that are known for their research in theoretical physics?

Yes, countries such as the United States, Germany, Japan, and the United Kingdom are known for their strong research programs in theoretical physics. However, there are also many other countries that have emerging research programs in this field.

5. What qualities should I look for in a potential employer as a theoretical physicist?

Some important qualities to look for in a potential employer as a theoretical physicist include a strong commitment to research and innovation, a collaborative and inclusive work environment, and opportunities for professional development and growth. It is also important to consider the specific research areas and projects that the employer is involved in to ensure they align with your own interests and goals.