Can an applied physics graduate be a theoretical physicist?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of someone with a degree in applied physics being able to pursue a career in theoretical physics. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in physics and to consider the curriculum of the degree program. It is also noted that there is currently a saturation of PhDs in the field of theoretical physics.
KylieVegas
Hello, can an applied physics graduate be able to be a theoretical physicist? Our school only offers applied physics major in instrumentation but they do send students to do interns/ojt (on the job training) to CERN and various universities all over the world. I know applied physics is more like engineering, but i want to be a theoretical physicist. So can I a degree in just Physics (not applied nor engineering) in graduate school with a bachelors degree in applied physics? Btw i also love high energy/particle/nuclear physics in fact it's my favorite branch of physics, another question, can I work as particle physicist with a bachelors degree in applied physics + future PhD degree? I want Theoretical Physics, QFT, Astrophysics and Particle Physics and i can't choose between any of those :( I'm sorry if i have so much question i just don't know what i really want to do in life :( thank you and have a nice day!:)

Physics news on Phys.org
I am from the philippines btw not from usa :)

I don't know much about the educational system in the Philippines specifically, but generally speaking it's best to avoid too much specialization in undergrad. The point of an undergraduate degree in physics is to give you a foundation in physics. I'm usually suspicious of specialized programs - not that they're necessarily bad, but it brings up the question of what components of the typical foundation are they sacrificing for the specialization.

Most graduate programs in physics will look for students who have this foundation.

One thing to look into is where the graduates of your current program are ending up. Are at least some of them getting into decent graduate schools? Are any of them entering the fields you're interested in.

The other thing to consider is that you seem to be looking at the situation backwards. You're saying "I go to this school and the only program I can take is one that is not what I'm specifically interested in" whereas it would seem more appropriate to ask "I want to do this kind of program, what schools offer it." Of course, that assumes that you have a choice in the matter. Not everyone does.

Likes DEvens
Whether you can go into theoretical physics will be determined by how well you do in graduate school. For now just try to do the best you can in the courses you are taking, so you can get into a decent graduate school.

I had an applied physics BS and am now a theoretical physicist, so its not impossible at all. Hell, I got accepted into graduate school thinking i was going to do more applied/materials physics and switched to theory my first semester.

The field is currently saturated with PhD's though, so be forewarned.

Hello thanks for all your answers! :D

Hi. When discussing with my doctorate colleagues in a Laser institute, they (some of them having studied theoretical physics with QFT and the like in their Master) said, that it strongely depends on your specifications (the more math and theory the better) and its much more easy the other way round, meaning going from theory to applied physics.

I think it might depend on the actual contents of the degree for example the only applied physics degree I know of is one where you study for a regular degree in physics + an extra year for specialization in optics so you might want to take a look at the curriculum itself instead of looking at the title

Exactly! A climate physicist might(!) have it harder than a particle physicist or astrophysicist.

1. Can an applied physics graduate become a theoretical physicist?

Yes, an applied physics graduate can become a theoretical physicist. While the fields of applied physics and theoretical physics are distinct, they are closely related. An applied physics graduate has a strong foundation in physics principles and mathematical techniques, which are essential for theoretical physics.

2. Do I need a graduate degree to become a theoretical physicist?

Yes, most positions in theoretical physics require a graduate degree, such as a Master's or PhD. This is because theoretical physics involves complex mathematical and theoretical concepts that are typically covered in graduate-level courses. Additionally, a graduate degree can provide opportunities for research and specialization in a specific area of theoretical physics.

3. What skills are important for a theoretical physicist?

Strong analytical and mathematical skills are crucial for a theoretical physicist. The ability to think abstractly and creatively is also important for developing new theories and models. Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills are also necessary for interpreting complex data and solving theoretical problems.

4. Can I switch from applied physics to theoretical physics?

Yes, it is possible to switch from applied physics to theoretical physics. However, additional coursework or a graduate degree may be required to gain the necessary knowledge and skills for theoretical physics. It may also be helpful to gain research experience in theoretical physics through internships or independent projects.

5. What career opportunities are available for theoretical physicists?

Theoretical physicists can pursue a variety of career paths, including academia, research, and industry. They may work in universities, government agencies, or private companies. Some theoretical physicists also become science writers or consultants for various industries. The field of theoretical physics is constantly evolving, so there are many opportunities for innovative research and new discoveries.