Where did I go wrong in calculating the traction fields?

Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the values of \Gamma^{0}_{3} and \Gamma^{1}_{3} in a mechanics problem, specifically in relation to the normal vector n and traction fields. The solution provided is based on the assumption that traction fields are proportional to n, but the values may seem counterintuitive. It is suggested to consider other factors that could affect the values and to consult with others for further clarification.
SP90

Homework Statement

Question (specifically part b):

attachment.php?attachmentid=47395&stc=1&d=1337342357.png

Solution:

attachment.php?attachmentid=47396&stc=1&d=1337342357.png

The Attempt at a Solution

My issue is that I don't agree with [itex]\Gamma^{0}_{3}[/itex] and [itex]\Gamma^{1}_{3}[/itex], surely if they're given by [itex][n][/itex] they should be given by [itex]\mp(0,0,\rho g x_{3})[/itex]. The answers they have don't make sense, because traction fields should satisfy [itex]t(-n,x) =-t(n,x)[/itex] (i.e. every reaction has an equal and opposite reaction).

Can someone point out to me where I'm going wrong?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-18 at 12.12.57.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-18 at 12.12.57.png
    11 KB · Views: 447
  • Screen Shot 2012-05-18 at 12.13.07.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-18 at 12.13.07.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist,

I understand your concerns regarding the given values for \Gamma^{0}_{3} and \Gamma^{1}_{3}. It is important to note that the values given in the solution are based on the assumption that the traction fields are proportional to the normal vector n. This is a simplification that is commonly used in mechanics problems. However, in reality, traction fields can have more complex dependencies on the normal vector and other parameters.

In this case, the given values for \Gamma^{0}_{3} and \Gamma^{1}_{3} may not seem intuitive, but they are consistent with the given assumption. It is also possible that there are other factors at play that are not explicitly mentioned in the problem, which could affect the values of these terms.

I suggest further exploring the problem and considering other possible factors that could influence the traction fields. If you are still unsure, it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or mentor to gain a different perspective.

I hope this helps address your concerns. Good luck with your analysis!

Related to Where did I go wrong in calculating the traction fields?

1. What is a traction field?

A traction field is a mathematical representation of the forces acting on an object, typically in a two-dimensional or three-dimensional space. It describes the magnitude and direction of forces at each point on the object's surface.

2. How is a traction field calculated?

A traction field is calculated using the equations of motion and boundary conditions of the object. This involves solving a system of differential equations using numerical or analytical methods.

3. What are some applications of traction fields?

Traction fields are commonly used in fields such as biomechanics, material science, and engineering to understand the mechanical properties of objects and how they respond to external forces. They can also be used to simulate and predict the behavior of complex systems.

4. Can traction fields be measured experimentally?

Yes, traction fields can be measured experimentally using techniques such as force sensors, strain gauges, and image analysis. These methods allow for the direct measurement of the forces acting on an object's surface.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating traction fields?

There are certain limitations to calculating traction fields, such as simplifying assumptions made in the mathematical model, errors introduced by experimental measurements, and computational limitations. These limitations should be carefully considered when interpreting the results of a traction field calculation.