Calculating Traction Force for Leg Fracture Treatment

In summary, when a patient's thigh is fractured, traction must be applied to keep the leg in place. One method is the Russell traction apparatus and if the traction force is 25N, the W (weight) must also be 25N. To find the vertical component of tension, the equation tan(35)=opposite/25 can be used. However, the vertical component of tension is not equal to W. This means that even if the angle is reduced to 0 degrees, the system will still work.
TyroneTheDino

Homework Statement

When the thigh is fractured, the patient's leg must be kept under traction. One method of doing so is a variation on the Russell traction apparatus. If the physical therapist specifies that the traction force directed along the leg must be 25N, what must W be?
8b998626-cd0d-4df1-b3c6-7e95154208c7-original.png

Homework Equations

W=mg
T=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I begin by saying that the horizontal dotted line has a force of 25N in each direction. Because that is where the traction force is. I believe that the horizontal component of tension in the rope is going to equal 25N as well. I use that to find my vertical components of tension. I solve: tan(35)=oppostie/25. I get the opposite to side to equal .028N. Because there are two of these tension in the horizontal direction. I get that the total tension that should be equal to W= .056N

I am wondering if somehow my solving is flawed

Likes Ruth Baker
Physics news on Phys.org
The vertical component of tension is not equal to W.

There is no friction in the pulleys so what does that mean for the tension in the rope at all points?

CWatters said:
The vertical component of tension is not equal to W.

Just to clarify.. Suppose the 35 degree angle was reduced to zero by moving the two pulleys closer together. The vertical component would be zero but the system would still work wouldn't it.

TyroneTheDino said:
I solve: tan(35)=oppostie/25.

What is this?

Related to Calculating Traction Force for Leg Fracture Treatment

1. How is traction force calculated for leg fracture treatment?

The traction force for leg fracture treatment is calculated by first determining the weight of the patient's leg. This can be done by placing the leg on a scale or using a weight estimation formula based on the patient's height and gender. Once the leg weight is determined, the traction force is typically set at 5-10% of the leg weight to provide enough force to reduce the fracture without causing additional damage.

2. What are the different types of traction used for leg fracture treatment?

There are several types of traction that can be used for leg fracture treatment, including skin traction, skeletal traction, and external fixation. Skin traction involves applying a pulling force to the skin using adhesive straps or boots. Skeletal traction involves inserting pins or screws into the bone and using weights to pull on the bone. External fixation involves the use of a device that is attached to the bone and provides traction through external forces.

3. How long should traction be applied for leg fracture treatment?

The duration of traction for leg fracture treatment depends on the type and severity of the fracture. Generally, skin traction is applied for 1-2 weeks, while skeletal traction can be used for 2-6 weeks. External fixation may be used for longer periods of time, depending on the healing progress of the fracture. The traction should be continuously monitored and adjusted by a healthcare professional.

4. What are the potential risks and complications of using traction for leg fracture treatment?

While traction is generally considered a safe and effective treatment for leg fractures, there are some potential risks and complications. These may include skin irritation or breakdown, nerve damage, and loss of muscle strength. It is important for healthcare professionals to carefully monitor the patient and make adjustments to the traction as needed to avoid these complications.

5. Can traction be used for all types of leg fractures?

Traction is not suitable for all types of leg fractures. It is typically used for long bone fractures, such as those in the femur or tibia, and may not be effective for fractures in the knee or ankle. Additionally, traction may not be recommended for certain types of fractures, such as open fractures or those with severe soft tissue damage. A healthcare professional will determine the best treatment approach for each individual case.