Where could I shoot for (grad math)?

• Thread starter mxbob468
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is graduating with a double major in pure math and physics from FSU with a GPA of 3.71, with a higher GPA in math. They also have a capstone physics thesis and weak engineering research. They have taken a variety of math and physics classes, but none stand out. They have three potential letters of recommendation, including one from the supervisor of their capstone project. They are fluent in Russian and interested in pursuing financial math or other applied fields for job prospects. They also plan on using a master's degree as a stepping stone to a better program. They will be joining the Peace Corps next year and have not yet taken the GRE, but are not worried as they will have time to review during
mxbob468
I'm graduating this fall with double major pure math + physics from fsu with a of gpa 3.71 (math gpa is much higher), a capstone physics thesis, and weak engineering research (no publications, no results, basically spun my wheels for two summers).

Math classes I've taken:

Calc 1-3
Odes
PDEs 1 (of 2)
Linear 1 & 2
Complex variables
Intro to Probability and Statistics

Intro to Proofs
Elementary Topology
Abstract Alg 1 & 2
Advanced Calc 1 & 2

I have probably the same number of physics classes taken, none very impressive either. I can get 1 moderately strong letter (from adv calc professor), 1 decent letter from professor supervising capstone project, and 1 perfunctory letter from abstract algebra professor (heisuke hironaka's daughter :bugeye: ).

I speak Russian fluently (I have no clue whether that matters).

I'm interested in financial math or something else applied that I can actually get a job with (pure math lulz), which was not the case in undergrad, as you can tell by my choice of pure classes.

I'm also interested in using a master's degree (even unfunded) as a stepping stone to a better program.

I'm going into the peace corps next year (and taking all of my textbooks with me).

I have not taken the GRE yet but I'm not really worried about either the general or the subject because I'll have the 2 years in the peacecorps to review everything I've learned.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My questions:1) What can I do to maximize my chances of getting accepted into a good master's program?2) What type of programs should I be looking at?3) What are the best strategies for preparing for the GRE?4) Are there any other tips or pieces of advice that you would like to share?

Related to Where could I shoot for (grad math)?

1. Where can I find information about graduate programs in mathematics?

There are several resources available for finding information about graduate programs in mathematics. You can start by researching on university websites, checking online databases such as the Grad School Hub or the US News & World Report, and reaching out to your academic advisor or professors for recommendations.

2. What are the top schools for graduate studies in math?

The top schools for graduate studies in math can vary depending on individual preferences and priorities. Some of the top-ranked schools according to US News & World Report include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Princeton University, and University of California-Berkeley.

3. What is the average GRE score needed for admission to a graduate math program?

The average GRE score needed for admission to a graduate math program can vary depending on the school and program. Generally, a score of 150 or above on the quantitative section and 4.0 or above on the analytical writing section is considered competitive for math programs.

4. What types of careers can I pursue with a graduate degree in math?

A graduate degree in math can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as data science, finance, engineering, and academia. Some common job titles for math graduates include data analyst, actuary, statistician, and college professor.

5. How can I improve my chances of getting accepted into a graduate math program?

To improve your chances of getting accepted into a graduate math program, you can focus on maintaining a high GPA, gaining relevant research or work experience, and obtaining strong letters of recommendation. It is also important to thoroughly research the program and tailor your application materials to showcase your interest and qualifications for the specific program.