Where Can I Find a Comprehensive List of Special Matrices Used in Physics?

In summary, there are several types of matrices commonly used in physics such as diagonal, identity, hermitian, transpose, and unitary matrices. These can be found in Linear Algebra textbooks or math handbooks, with Friedberg and Anton being recommended options.
RJLiberator
Gold Member
Is there any chart/graph/website online or in a ebook that has a clear concise list of special matrices used in physics?

I'm just getting into an intro to quantum mechanics class and we are going over all types of matrices, Identity, hermitian, diagonal, transpose, unitary, and so on.

I want to make a poster for my room of all the different types so I understand them well, but I can't seem to find a decent and clear list of most of the special matrices used.

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:
Is there any chart/graph/website online or in a ebook that has a clear concise list of special matrices used in physics?

I'm just getting into an intro to quantum mechanics class and we are going over all types of matrices, Identity, hermitian, diagonal, transpose, unitary, and so on.

I want to make a poster for my room of all the different types so I understand them well, but I can't seem to find a decent and clear list of most of the special matrices used.
What matrices you list aren't that special. Some are matrices, some are matrix operations, some are types of matrices ...

A diagonal matrix is a square matrix where the only non-zero entries are located on the main diagonal.

The identity matrix is a special diagonal matrix where all of the non-zero entries are 1.

The transpose of a matrix is taking all the rows of a given matrix and writing them as the corresponding columns.

Hermitian and unitary matrices you can look up the definition.

A lot of LA facts are given in Math Handbooks. These are a good tool to have, just like having a Physics or Chemistry handbook.

Likes RJLiberator
If you can get your hands on Arfken's book, his chapter on linear algebra (I think that's what its called) will mention all the types of matrices you've mentioned in considerable detail.

Likes RJLiberator
Those are the matrices you'd find in the first 40 pages of any Linear Algebra introductory book (shorter if it doesn't have rigorous proofs). Anything will do as long as it's readable.

Likes RJLiberator
Excellent suggestion with the linear algebra book. I think that may end up being where I need to take this info.

If you need a linear algebra book, I have 2 recommendations. Friedberg and Anton. Friedberg is for a second semester, but is readable. (easier than say Apostol and Spivak Calculus). Anton is a bit easier to read than fried berg, but does not go into much detail. Both books can be found for under 12 shipped for both.

Likes RJLiberator

Related to Where Can I Find a Comprehensive List of Special Matrices Used in Physics?

1. What are special matrices?

Special matrices are matrices that have certain properties or structures that make them unique or useful in specific applications.

2. How many types of special matrices are there?

There are many types of special matrices, but some of the most commonly studied and used ones include symmetric matrices, diagonal matrices, identity matrices, and orthogonal matrices.

3. What is the significance of special matrices?

Special matrices have various applications in mathematics, statistics, physics, and engineering. For example, symmetric matrices are used to represent symmetric relationships in data, while diagonal matrices are useful for simplifying calculations in linear algebra.

4. How are special matrices different from regular matrices?

Regular matrices are general matrices with no specific properties or structures, while special matrices have unique properties that make them useful for specific purposes. Regular matrices can be transformed into special matrices through operations such as diagonalization or orthogonalization.

5. Can special matrices be used in real-world problems?

Yes, special matrices have many real-world applications. For example, symmetric matrices are used in data analysis and image processing, diagonal matrices are used in optimization problems, and orthogonal matrices are used in rotation and reflection transformations.