Where Can I Find a Comprehensive Introduction to Modern Physics Theories?

In summary: As long as you realize that you are only learning about stuff and not really learning the stuff there is nothing wrong with it. However, the distinction is not clear to many laymen, which results in a large number of personal theories. That is where it goes...In summary, modern physics books are not for someone who wants to learn about the theory itself, but rather just a broad overview of all the different theories. You would need to find a different book that focuses on just one theory.
Christian Grey
Can someone recommend me a modern physics book, that includes introduction to all the different theories like quantum mechanics,quantum field theory,special relativity,general relativity,standard model,string,m-theory,supersymmetry,superstrings,quantum gravity,loop quantum gravity etc(if I missed any other theory) ,so that I can get essence of what each theory tries to explain,to what extent they are successful and wheres the problem(i.e. theory of everything).

If you know any book that does this,Please let me know!

Physics news on Phys.org
Christian Grey said:
Can someone recommend me a modern physics book, that includes introduction to all the different theories like quantum mechanics,quantum field theory,special relativity,general relativity,standard model,string,m-theory,supersymmetry,superstrings,quantum gravity,loop quantum gravity etc(if I missed any other theory) ,so that I can get essence of what each theory tries to explain,to what extent they are successful and wheres the problem(i.e. theory of everything).

If you know any book that does this,Please let me know!
You want to read only one book for all of these theories?!
So, honestly, physics is not for you.

Just "introduction" to all these theories.

Christian Grey said:
Just "introduction" to all these theories.
Its just impossible. Such a book does not exist. You can't learn physics this way. If you're not willing to put enough effort and time, you can't learn anything. And the fact that you're looking for such a book, means you're aiming to invest much much less than what is needed for gaining only a minimum understanding of such theories. Come back when you are willing to invest more.

The point is that you have listed such a wide variety of theories. From theories whoch are well established and tested to theories which at this point are only hypotheses which may never be testable. No book is going to give you an introduction to all these subjects. The closest thing you will get would be some popularised texts, but these texts are not texts to learn anyhing from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, there is an excellent book by Lee Smolin, named "The Trouble with Physics". On one hand, its prose, not a textbook; on other, it gives the reader an excellent exposition of the development of ideas in physics, starting from Copernicus and Kepler, analysing any significant milestone since, and introducing all the key notions of the contemporary string theory in a digestible way. I am half way through this book, and it has given me a clear roadmap (perhaps not balanced) of what's going on in the last 30 years of high-energy physics. It teaches one to think of physical ideas with clarity and objectiveness. I totally love it.

In my opinion:

Modern Physics/Serway

meets your requirements

It's an excellent book ,very well written !

Orodruin said:
The point is that you have listed such a wide variety of theories. From theories whoch are well established and tested to theories which at this point are only hypotheses which may never be testable. No book is going to give you an introduction to all these subjects. The closest thing you will get would be some popularised texts, but these texts are not texts to learn anyhing from.
Why can't you learn things from popular books?

Entr0py said:
Because they skip vital details in how the theory is constructed and how it makes predictions. As such, you cannot learn anything about the actual theory. At best, you can learn about the theory, but not enough to judge its merits.

Likes Entr0py
Orodruin said:
Because they skip vital details in how the theory is constructed and how it makes predictions. As such, you cannot learn anything about the actual theory. At best, you can learn about the theory, but not enough to judge its merits.
That makes sense. But there isn't anything wrong w learning about stuff than delving right into the theory of stuff

Entr0py said:
That makes sense. But there isn't anything wrong w learning about stuff than delving right into the theory of stuff

As long as you realize that you are only learning about stuff and not really learning the stuff there is nothing wrong with it. However, the distinction is not clear to many laymen, which results in a large number of personal theories. That is where it goes wrong.

Likes artyb
Orodruin said:
As long as you realize that you are only learning about stuff and not really learning the stuff there is nothing wrong with it. However, the distinction is not clear to many laymen, which results in a large number of personal theories. That is where it goes wrong.
Yes that says it well. See I'm reading a book on cosmology (tegmark' s mathematical universe) and I've learned about things in cosmology and questions being asked, but I couldn't tell you why the theories make sense. I've read Liddle's Introduction to cosmology and for the most part I understood what he was saying but had no idea how he got certain Friedmann equations or why he used them when he did.

Entr0py said:
The problem is that you never know, whether the popular book is correct. There are a few very good popular-science books, among them Weinberg's The first three minutes on cosmlogy or Ledermann's The God Particle (despite the nonsense title). Many popular books however, simplify the issues they discuss more than possible and they become almost erratic.

Related to Where Can I Find a Comprehensive Introduction to Modern Physics Theories?

1. What is modern physics?

Modern physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic levels. It includes theories such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and particle physics.

2. How does modern physics differ from classical physics?

Modern physics differs from classical physics in that it focuses on the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic levels, rather than on a macroscopic scale. It also incorporates theories such as quantum mechanics and relativity, which were not included in classical physics.

3. What are the main theories of modern physics?

The main theories of modern physics include quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic levels, and relativity, which explains the relationship between space and time. Other important theories include electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and particle physics.

4. Why is modern physics important?

Modern physics is important because it has greatly expanded our understanding of the universe and has led to many technological advancements. Its principles are used in fields such as medicine, electronics, and energy production. It also helps scientists to better understand the fundamental laws of nature.

5. What are some real-world applications of modern physics?

Some real-world applications of modern physics include the development of new technologies such as computers, lasers, and nuclear power. It also plays a crucial role in medical imaging and treatments, as well as in the development of new materials and energy sources. Additionally, modern physics helps us to understand the behavior of matter and energy in extreme conditions, such as in black holes or the early universe.