When should the engines be turned off?

• Thread starter meesa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spaceship
In summary, the Spaceship Coasting Problem is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the trajectory of a spaceship in space, taking into account the gravitational pull of nearby celestial bodies. It is typically solved using mathematical equations and computer simulations, and is affected by factors such as mass, initial velocity, and external forces. This problem has real-world applications in astrodynamics and space technology, but also has limitations and simplifying assumptions.
meesa

Homework Statement

The position of a spaceship is [itex](3 + t, 2 + ln(t), 7 - \frac{4}{t^2 + 1})[/itex] and the coordinates of the space station are (6, 4, 9). The captain wants the spaceship to coast into the space station. When should the engines be turned off?

Homework Equations

[itex]r' = (1, \frac{1}{t}, \frac{8t}{(t^2 + 1)^2})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Every solution I've found online, but none of them are complete, and I have no idea what I'm missing. So would somebody please just work out the entire problem? PLEASE? All the help online is very vague and the most I've gotten from it is that I need the derivative, but I can't figure out how to relate that and the original together to get something.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
meesa said:

Homework Statement

The position of a spaceship is [itex](3 + t, 2 + ln(t), 7 - \frac{4}{t^2 + 1})[/itex] and the coordinates of the space station are (6, 4, 9). The captain wants the spaceship to coast into the space station. When should the engines be turned off?

What is the acceleration when the engine is turned off? What happens to the velocity?

Homework Equations

[itex]r' = (1, \frac{1}{t^2}, \frac{8t}{(t^2 + 1)^2})[/itex]

Check your y-coordinate derivative. It's wrong.

The Attempt at a Solution

Every solution I've found online, but none of them are complete, and I have no idea what I'm missing. So would somebody please just work out the entire problem? PLEASE? All the help online is very vague and the most I've gotten from it is that I need the derivative, but I can't figure out how to relate that and the original together to get something.

Thanks.

Sorry, no one is allowed to give full solutions to HW problems here. It's in the rules.

We can help you think through things though.

Last edited:
The acceleration would be zero. We're in mystical space where everything is perfect with lovely numbers.

Fixed the y derivative.

I've seen full solutions here before.

The answer is 1 according to the back of the book.

meesa said:
Fixed the y derivative.

I've seen full solutions here before.

Those were in contravention of the rules if they were solutions to homework problems. You can PM a mentor or admin if you have an issue with the policy.

The answer is 1 according to the back of the book.

I can guide you through the general approach if you answer the questions I asked in my previous post (acceleration, velocity).

Just saw that and edited my post right before yours came though. r' is the velocity.

A general approach will work, if you can do it without being too abstract. Appreciate your time.

meesa said:
Just saw that and edited my post right before yours came though. r' is the velocity.

A general approach will work, if you can do it without being too abstract. Appreciate your time.

Please start by answering my questions.

What happens to the acceleration when the engines are cut?

What happens to the velocity?

The acceleration would be zero. We're in mystical space where everything is perfect with lovely numbers.

The velocity would be constant, since acceleration is zero. What I wrote in my first post is the exact question.

meesa said:
The velocity would be constant, since acceleration is zero. What I wrote in my first post is the exact question.

I'm sorry I didn't notice you had answered earlier.

OK, what you have is a vector equation for displacement.

s(t) = sx(t) i + sy(t) j + sz(t) k

where i, j and k are the usual orthogonal unit vectors for 3-D. The individual expressions for the displacements along each axis are given in the original question.

Differentiate s(t) wrt t to find v(t) in the same form. You've already done the work here, just put it in vector form.

Now let the time when the engines are cut be T.

The displacement at at that time will be s(T).

The velocity at time T will be v(T).

Thereafter, the spaceship will move at the constant velocity v(T).

The displacement at any time t' (t'>T) will be given by:

(t' - T)v(T) + s(T) = s(t')

You want to equate s(t') to 6i + 4j + 9k and solve for T. You will have 3 equations in two variables, and if they can be solved to give consistent solutions, you have an answer.

EDIT: Confirmed that T = 1 is a consistent and valid solution. Now try it yourself.

Likes 1 person

Related to When should the engines be turned off?

1. What is the Spaceship Coasting Problem?

The Spaceship Coasting Problem is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the trajectory of a spaceship as it travels through space, taking into account the gravitational pull of nearby celestial bodies.

2. How is the Spaceship Coasting Problem solved?

The problem is typically solved using mathematical equations, such as Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation. Computer simulations and numerical methods may also be used to solve the problem.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a spaceship in the Spaceship Coasting Problem?

The trajectory of a spaceship is affected by several factors, including the mass and gravitational pull of nearby objects, the initial velocity and direction of the spaceship, and any external forces acting on the spaceship.

4. What real-world applications does the Spaceship Coasting Problem have?

The Spaceship Coasting Problem has many applications in the field of astrodynamics, including space mission planning and spacecraft navigation. It is also used in the development of space exploration technology and in understanding the motion of celestial bodies.

5. Are there any limitations or simplifying assumptions in the Spaceship Coasting Problem?

Like most mathematical models, the Spaceship Coasting Problem makes certain assumptions and simplifications in order to make the problem more manageable. For example, it assumes that the gravitational pull of objects is the only force acting on the spaceship and does not take into account other factors such as atmospheric drag or the rotation of celestial bodies.