(Introductory SR) Light sent from a spaceship received by Earth

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem and solution related to special relativity. The problem involves determining the time and distance at which a light signal from a spaceship will reach Earth, given that the spaceship is moving at a certain velocity. The solutions discussed involve using a space-time diagram and Lorentz transformations, as well as the Doppler shift formula. The summary also mentions a discrepancy in the solution for part a) and a neat solution for part b) using the Doppler shift.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Homework Statement
A spaceship leaves Earth at a speed ##v= 0.5\cdot c##. An astronaut on the spaceship needs to send two light signals back to Earth. The first signal is sent so that it will be received by people on Earth exactly 1 year after the departure of the spaceship (according to the Earth frame). The second signal is then sent 1 year after the first signal was sent (according to the spaceship frame).

(a) According to the spaceship frame, when should the astronaut send the first signal after his departure?

(b) According to the Earth frame, what is the time interval between receiving the first and second signals on Earth?
Relevant Equations
The Lorentz-transformations:
##S'## moves in ##S## with constant speed ##v## in the ##x##-direction.
##x = \gamma (x' + vt') ## and ## t = \gamma (t' + x'v/c^2)##
##x'= \gamma (x - vt) ## and ## t' = \gamma (t - xv/c^2)##
Gamma-factor ## \gamma = 1/\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}##

Doppler formula (longitudinal) ##T## is the observed (measured) period in ##S## and ##T'## is the emitted period as measured in ##S'##
## T = T' \cdot \sqrt{ \dfrac{c+v}{c-v}} ##
I am taking a summer course on special relativity and I stumbled across this problem and solution which I tought look neat. However, I think the solution provided for a) there is wrong. I will here present two of my solutions for a) and one solution for b) and ask if you think mine are okay? :)

For the first solution I used space-time diagram, and for the second solution pure Lorentz-transformation.

First solution for a)
##S## frame: spaceship frame. Spaceship is located at ## x = 0## in ##S##
##S'## frame: Earth, moves at ##v = 0.5c## in ##S##. Earth is located at ##x' = 0## in ##S'##.

##ct## axis vertical.
##x## axis horizontal.
##S## and ##S'## origins conincide at the start of the spaceships journey, i.e. ## x = x' = 0## at ##ct = ct' = 0##.

The worldline of the Earth in ##S'## frame is ##(ct',x') = (ct',0)##
Using the Lorentz-transformation
##t = \gamma\cdot (t' + x'\cdot v/c^2)##
##x = \gamma\cdot (x' + v\cdot t')##
we obtain for the ##ct, x## coordiantes for the worldline of the Earth in ##S## frame to be
##(ct, x) = (\gamma \cdot ct' , \gamma \cdot (v/c) \cdot ct')##

The first light signal is received at Earth ##(ct',x') = (ct',0) = (1 \text{light-year}, 0) = (c \cdot 1\text{year} , 0)##
we obtain for the ##ct, x## coordiantes of this event to be
##(ct, x) = (\gamma \cdot ct' , \gamma \cdot (v/c) \cdot ct') = (\gamma \cdot c \cdot 1\text{year}, \gamma \cdot 0.5 \cdot c \cdot1\text{year} )##

The first light signal worldline in ##S## is given by the equation
##ct = c \cdot \alpha + x##
where ##\alpha ## is the time in ##S##-frame when the first light signal should be sent in order to reach Earth at ## t' = 1 \text{year} ##.

The light signal worldline intersect the Earth worldline in ##S## at
## \gamma \cdot c t' = c \cdot \alpha + \gamma \cdot (v/c) \cdot t' ##

## \gamma \cdot c \cdot 1\text{year} = c \cdot \alpha + \gamma \cdot 0.5 \cdot c \cdot 1 \text{year} ##
which has the solution
## c \cdot \alpha = \gamma \cdot (1-0.5) \cdot c \cdot 1\text{year} ##
## \alpha = \gamma \cdot (1-0.5) \cdot 1\text{year} ##

with ##v = 0.5c##, ##\gamma = 1.1547## we obtain
##\alpha = 1.1547\cdot(1-0.5) \cdot 1\text{year} = ## 0.577 years.

The solution which I linked to states 0.447 years.
----------------------------------

Second solution for a)

Let ##S## frame be the Earth frame and ##S'## be the spaceships frame. ##S'## moves in ##S## with ##v = 0.5c##. Earth is located at ##x= 0## and spaceship is located at ##x' = 0##.

Let ##t_1## be the time in ##S##-frame when the spaceship emitts its first light signal.
At ##t_1##, the spaceship is located at ##x_1 = v \cdot t_1 = 0.5c\cdot t_1##
Because Earth is receiving the light signal at ##t=1 \text{year}## we must have ## t_1 + \dfrac{x_1}{c} = 1 \text{year}## since ##\dfrac{x_1}{c} ## is the amount of time the light signal must spend to reach Earth from the spaceship according to Earths frame (##S##-frame). But ##\dfrac{x_1}{c} = 0.5c\cdot t_1 ## so we have ## t_1 +0.5c\cdot t_1 = 1 \text{year}##, which has the solution ##t_1 = \dfrac{2}{3} \text{year}##.

That is, according to Earth-frame, the (first) light signal must be emitted by the spaceship at 2/3 years after the take-off. The spaceship was located at ## x_1 = 0.5c\cdot t_1 = 0.5c \cdot \dfrac{2}{3} \text{year} = \dfrac{1}{3} c \cdot 1\text{year} = ## 1/3 lightyear.

Using the Lorentz-transform ## t' = \gamma (t - xv/c^2)## we obtain ##t_1'##, the time according to the spaceship frame (##S'##) when the first light signal should be sent.
## t_1' = \gamma (t_1 - x_1 \cdot v/c^2) = \gamma ( \frac{2}{3}\cdot c \cdot 1\text{year} - \frac{1}{3} c \cdot 1\text{year} \cdot 0.5c/c^2 ) = 0.577 \text{year} ##
----------------------------------

Solution for b)

Let ##S## frame be the Earth frame and ##S'## be the spaceships frame. ##S'## moves in ##S## with ##v = 0.5c##. Earth is located at ##x= 0## and spaceship is located at ##x' = 0##.

I use the doppler formula for period, since we can think of the light signal interval on the spaceship is periodic signal with ##T' = 1 \text{year}##.

## T = T' \cdot \sqrt{ \dfrac{c+v}{c-v}} = 1 \text{year} \cdot \sqrt{ \dfrac{c+0.5c}{c-0.5c}} = ## 1.734 years

The solution which I linked to states 2.236 years.

Thank you all for reading this far, hope to hear from you reagarding who is correct on this nice problem :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check your solution, but I agree with you.

I did the kinematics in the rocket frame.

Likes malawi_glenn
drmalawi said:
Doppler formula (longitudinal) ##T## is the observed (measured) period in ##S## and ##T'## is the emitted period as measured in ##S'##
## T = T' \cdot \sqrt{ \dfrac{c+v}{c-v}} ##
What does the Doppler shift formula have to do with this?

kuruman said:
What does the Doppler shift formula have to do with this?
Using the Doppler shift is definitely the neatest solution for part b).

Likes malawi_glenn
PeroK said:
Using the Doppler shift is definitely the neatest solution for part b).
Yes, I see it now.

Likes malawi_glenn
And the neatest solution for part a) is also to use the Doppler shift. Consider an initial signal send at time ##t = t' = 0## and the second is received at time ##T_E = 1##, so must have been sent at
$$T_S = T_E\sqrt{\frac{c-v}{c+v}} =\frac{T_E}{\sqrt 3}$$

Likes malawi_glenn, nasu and kuruman
PeroK said:
And the neatest solution for part a) is also to use the Doppler shift. Consider an initial signal send at time ##t = t' = 0## and the second is received at time ##T_E = 1##, so must have been sent at
$$T_S = T_E\sqrt{\frac{c-v}{c+v}} =\frac{T_E}{\sqrt 3}$$

ah yes that is pretty neat! Never considered using doppler formula for a) by assuming spaceship sent out a signal immediately after start :)

1. What is the speed of light and how does it relate to a spaceship traveling through space?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This is a constant speed that all electromagnetic radiation, including light, travels at in a vacuum. This means that a spaceship traveling through space will also travel at the speed of light, assuming it is not affected by any other forces.

2. How long does it take for light sent from a spaceship to reach Earth?

The time it takes for light to reach Earth from a spaceship depends on the distance between the two objects. Since light travels at a constant speed, the time it takes for light to reach Earth is equal to the distance between the spaceship and Earth divided by the speed of light.

3. Can light be affected by gravity as it travels from a spaceship to Earth?

Yes, light can be affected by gravity as it travels through space. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity can bend the path of light. This means that the light sent from a spaceship may not travel in a straight line and may be slightly curved as it reaches Earth.

4. How does the wavelength of light change as it travels from a spaceship to Earth?

The wavelength of light does not change as it travels through space. However, as the light reaches Earth, it may be redshifted or blueshifted depending on the relative motion between the spaceship and Earth. This means that the wavelength of the light may appear longer or shorter to an observer on Earth compared to the wavelength emitted from the spaceship.

5. What can we learn from studying light sent from a spaceship received by Earth?

Studying light sent from a spaceship received by Earth can provide valuable information about the properties of the spaceship, such as its speed and direction of travel. It can also help us understand the effects of gravity on light and test theories such as general relativity. Additionally, studying light from distant objects can give us insights into the composition and evolution of the universe.