When Physics Class Demonstration Goes Wrong

In summary, a physics teacher demonstrated conservation of energy and pendulum motion by swinging a bowling ball and stopping it just short of his nose. After the demonstration, the student who was hit tried to ask the teacher a question, but got hit in the head instead.
Physics news on Phys.org
Who said that it went wrong? I don't know what the goal of the experiment was, so maybe it was exactly what they wanted to do? :biggrin:

Absolutely! Physics teachers can be very sneaky.

In a satellite attitude control class I teach at work, I use a spinning tire and let all the students hold it and then try to change the orientation of the spin axis so they can actually feel angular momentum (gyroscopic stability). When I get to a student I don't like, I tell him to just jerk the tire to the left!

Unfortunately, I eventually teach them about precession maneuvers and it sometimes dawns on the student that that initial demonstration may not have been an accident. But that's okay. Their lips are still so sore that they don't say much about it anyway.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
oh my! That was difficult to watch! Terrible aim!

Or perfect aim? Do you have any idea how difficult it is to pull that off while making it look like an accident?

In one of my big intro Physics classes in undergrad, the prof wanted to demonstrate conservation of energy and pendulum motion. He had a bowling ball that was suspended from the high ceiling with a thin rope -- he pulled the bowling ball to one end of the lecture stage and climbed a few steps up an A-frame ladder. He held the bowling ball to his nose and said "Now you will see that when the ball comes back it will stop a little short of my nose because of the small losses due to air resistance." he released the ball, it swung across the lecture stage, turned around and came back, and almost broke his nose. I'm guessing he just didn't hold his position very still while the bowling ball was swinging out and back to him... :woot:

berkeman said:
In one of my big intro Physics classes in undergrad, the prof wanted to demonstrate conservation of energy and pendulum motion. He had a bowling ball that was suspended from the high ceiling with a thin rope -- he pulled the bowling ball to one end of the lecture stage and climbed a few steps up an A-frame ladder. He held the bowling ball to his nose and said "Now you will see that when the ball comes back it will stop a little short of my nose because of the small losses due to air resistance." he released the ball, it swung across the lecture stage, turned around and came back, and almost broke his nose. I'm guessing he just didn't hold his position very still while the bowling ball was swinging out and back to him... :woot:

Professor Clint Sprott at UW-Madison had this as one of the demo in the now-famous "Wonders of Physics" show. He actually put his chin on a folding ladder so that his face doesn't move.

I had him as an instructor when I was there, and he didn't do any demo in his class, unfortunately.

Zz.

Likes berkeman
Here's how you do it:

I'm pretty sure Feynman originated the bowling ball demonstration:

The lectures themselves were brimming with inspiring “showbiz demonstrations” as his friend Richard Davies describes them. Most memorably, Feynman used to set up a heavy brass ball on a pendulum, send it swinging across the room, and then wait for it to swing back towards him. Students would gasp as it rushed towards his face, but Feynman would stand stock still, knowing it would stop just in front of his nose.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/10036024/Richard-Feynman-Life-the-universe-and-everything.html

Couldn't find a source for this, but I think the sledgehammer to the balls demonstration was originated by Vlad the Impaler.

Greg Bernhardt said:
oh my! That was difficult to watch! Terrible aim!
I was thinking that he was going to get hit in the head. That would have really hurt and could have killed him. Amazing stupidity. :wideeyed:

The guy on the floor seems to be wearing safety goggles - what could go wrong!

Likes Borg and berkeman

Related to When Physics Class Demonstration Goes Wrong

1. What are some common reasons for physics class demonstrations to go wrong?

Some common reasons for physics class demonstrations to go wrong include human error, incorrect equipment or materials, and inadequate preparation or understanding of the experiment.

2. How can we prevent physics class demonstrations from going wrong?

To prevent physics class demonstrations from going wrong, it is important to thoroughly understand the experiment and its potential hazards, double check all equipment and materials, and practice the demonstration beforehand.

3. What are some potential dangers of a failed physics class demonstration?

A failed physics class demonstration can potentially result in injury to students or the teacher, damage to equipment or the classroom, and a loss of trust or interest in science.

4. What steps should be taken if a physics class demonstration goes wrong?

If a physics class demonstration goes wrong, the first step is to ensure the safety of all individuals in the classroom. Then, it is important to assess the situation and determine the cause of the failure before attempting the demonstration again.

5. Are there any guidelines or regulations for conducting physics class demonstrations?

Yes, there are guidelines and regulations set by various organizations, such as the National Science Teachers Association, for conducting safe and effective physics class demonstrations. It is important to follow these guidelines and also consult with school administrators or safety officers before conducting any potentially hazardous experiments.