When is a function bounded using differentiation

In summary: Post 3 states that f is bounded on [0,\infty) and has a maximum and a minimum.Post 4 pertains to f(x)=(-2x^2)/(4x^2-1) for x > 0.Post 4 states that f is not bounded on (-1,1) and that it has a maximum and a minimum.Post 5 pertains to f(x)=sqrt(x)/1000.Post 5 states that f is not bounded on (0,\infty) and that it has a maximum and a minimum.
sara_87

Homework Statement

how do i determine whether a function is bounded using differentiation

eg: f(x)=x/(2^x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i know it has something to do with maximums and minimums but i can't figure out how to do it.

any help would be appreciated. thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You could look at the limits of the function as it approaches plus and minus infinity. If both exist and are finite, and if the function is defined and continuous for all x, then it is bounded.

sara_87 said:

Homework Statement

how do i determine whether a function is bounded using differentiation

eg: f(x)=x/(2^x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i know it has something to do with maximums and minimums but i can't figure out how to do it.

any help would be appreciated. thank you
You can use differentiation to investigate the behavior of f. Say, the function is f(x) = x/2^x on x > 0. Then f'(x) = 2^-x (1 - x Log[2]), which has roots 1/Log[2] and +infinity. At x = 1/Log[2], f''(x) = 2^-x Log[2] (-2 + x Log[2]) is < 0, so you have the maximum. Note that f(x) > 0 for x > 0 and f(0) = 0. As x --> +infinity, f(x) --> 0 from above; but f(0) = 0 so x = 0 is the minimum. Since you can "account for" both the maximum and the minimum, f is bounded on x > 0.

Last edited:
thank you very much.
what if we have:
f(x)=(-2x^2)/(4x^2-1)
i know that it's not bounded but i don't know why

The graph of that function has two vertical asymptotes. Functions don't get much more "unbounded" than that!

actually i think it is bounded because there's no value of x that would make that function greater than 1
or is there?

Sure there is. As I said, the graph of that function has 2 vertical asymptotes. You can find values of x for which the function blows up to infinity, and down to negative infinity.

Do you know what I mean when I say "vertical asymptote"?

yes i do know what vertical assymptotes are.
umm but i still didnt understand what u meant. you can find values of x for which the function blows down to -ve infinity but not up.
?

The function certainly does blow up to positive infinity, as you approach -1/2 from the right and as you approach +1/2 from the left.

oh thank u very much
that helps.
just one last question:
same question as before but with function:
sqrt(x)/1000

is it not bounded since n continues to increase to infinity?

You're right that it's not bounded (on [itex][0,\infty)[/itex] that is--we really should be specifying an interval when making these statements).

But what's "n"?

Now, I'm confused as to what function you are talking about. The original function was f(x)= x/(2^x) which is definitely bounded on [itex][0, \infty)[/itex]. It is bounded "above" but not bounded "below" so is not bounded. I don't see any asymptotes when I graph it.

Posts 1 through 3 pertain to f(x)=x/(2^x).
Posts 4 through 9 pertain to f(x)=(-2x^2)/(4x^2-1).
Posts 10 and 11 pertain to f(x)=sqrt(x)/1000.

Tom Mattson said:
Posts 1 through 3 pertain to f(x)=x/(2^x).
Post 3 pertains to f(x)=x/(2^x) for x > 0.

Related to When is a function bounded using differentiation

1. When is a function considered bounded?

A function is considered bounded when there is a finite number that the function never exceeds or falls below. In other words, the values of the function are limited or restricted within a certain range.

2. How do you know if a function is bounded using differentiation?

A function is considered bounded using differentiation if its derivative is finite and does not approach infinity as the independent variable approaches a certain value. This means that the function does not have any extreme values (such as a vertical asymptote) that would cause it to become unbounded.

3. Can a function be bounded on one interval but unbounded on another?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be bounded on one interval and unbounded on another. This typically occurs when the function has a vertical asymptote at a certain point, causing it to become unbounded in that specific interval.

4. Does differentiability guarantee that a function is bounded?

No, differentiability does not guarantee that a function is bounded. While a function that is differentiable at all points is generally considered bounded, there are some exceptions such as functions with vertical asymptotes or those that tend towards infinity at certain points.

5. How does the concept of boundedness relate to the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function provides information about the rate of change of the function. If the derivative is finite, it indicates that the function is not changing too quickly and is therefore likely to be bounded. However, it is not a definitive test as there are other factors that can affect the boundedness of a function.