When do quadratic polynomials generate the same ideal?

In summary, two quadratic polynomials in ##\mathbb{Z}_3 [x]## generate the same ideal when they have the same coefficients. This can be shown by considering the given ideals ##I## and ##J## with polynomials ##p(x)## and ##q(x)## in ##\mathbb{Z}_3[x]##, and noting that ##p(x)## is in ##J## and ##q(x)## is in ##I##. This implies that the coefficients of ##p(x)## and ##q(x)## are the same.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

When do two quadratic polynomials in ##\mathbb{Z}_3 [x]## generate the same ideal?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like they generate the same ideal only when they have the same coefficients, but am not sure how to show this.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not necessary for your question, as you only asked about principal ideals. Nevertheless, is ##\mathbb{Z}_3[x]## a principle ideal domain?
Now to approach your question. As always, write down what is given, namely two ideals ##I=\langle p(x) \rangle## and ##J=\langle q(x)\rangle## with polynomials ##p(x),q(x)\in \mathbb{Z}_3[x]## and ##I=J##. The latter means ##p(x) \in J## and ##q(x) \in I##. What can you conclude from this?

Related to When do quadratic polynomials generate the same ideal?

1. What is a quadratic polynomial?

A quadratic polynomial is a polynomial of degree two, which means it has variables raised to the second power and no higher powers. It can be written in the form ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

2. What is an ideal?

An ideal is a subset of a ring (such as the set of polynomials) that satisfies certain criteria. In the case of quadratic polynomials, the ideal is the set of all polynomials that can be generated by multiplying a given quadratic polynomial by another polynomial.

3. How do quadratic polynomials generate the same ideal?

Two quadratic polynomials generate the same ideal if and only if they have the same roots. This means that when set equal to zero, both polynomials will produce the same solutions.

4. Why is it important to understand when quadratic polynomials generate the same ideal?

Understanding when quadratic polynomials generate the same ideal is important in many areas, including algebra, number theory, and cryptography. It allows us to determine when two polynomials have the same properties, and can help us find solutions to equations and prove mathematical theorems.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding when quadratic polynomials generate the same ideal?

Real-world applications of this concept include error-correction codes used in communication systems, such as the Reed-Solomon code. It is also used in cryptography, specifically in the Diffie-Hellman key exchange and the RSA encryption algorithm.