When did you began discussing math and science on the web?

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science Web
In summary, there is a wide range of ages among forum members when they first began discussing math and science on the internet. For some, it was during their teenage years on websites specifically for youths, while others started much later in their thirties or even forties. There are also those who have been discussing these subjects for over forty years, long before the internet became a prominent platform for such discussions.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
How old were you (forum members) when you first began discussing math and science on the web?

I'd been out of graduate school for a decade before posting to a math and science forum -that was on the old Compuserve math/science forum, before Compuserve was taken-over by AOL. I wonder how different education would have been if the internet and personal computers existed when I was in high school.

Physics news on Phys.org
I used to hang out in the math and physics forums of a site for youths (I was probably one of the few spending more time in that section than in the relationship section ...) I guess I was around 18-20 at the beginning and I would not call it a science forum and I quit over 10 years ago. My "real" start was last year at age 34 and to be honest I started on a different forum. I came here around one month later.

Stephen Tashi said:
discussing math and science on the web?
Long before it was "the web." Forty years now.

Related to When did you began discussing math and science on the web?

1. When did you begin discussing math and science on the web?

I started discussing math and science on the web in 2015 when I launched my personal blog.

2. What inspired you to discuss math and science on the web?

I have always had a passion for math and science and I wanted to share my knowledge and ideas with a wider audience. The internet provides a platform for me to connect with people from all over the world who share the same interests.

3. What topics do you typically discuss on the web?

I cover a wide range of topics in math and science, including but not limited to, current research and discoveries, theories and concepts, and practical applications in everyday life. I also like to explore the intersection of math and science with other fields such as technology, engineering, and medicine.

4. How do you ensure the accuracy of your discussions on the web?

As a scientist, accuracy is of utmost importance to me. I always fact-check my information and cite reputable sources. I also welcome feedback and corrections from my readers to ensure that my discussions are as accurate as possible.

5. What do you hope to achieve through your discussions on the web?

My ultimate goal is to inspire and educate others about the fascinating world of math and science. I hope to spark curiosity and critical thinking in my readers and encourage them to continue learning and exploring these subjects.