When and where is the signal received according to different reference frames?

In summary, a spaceship of length 400 m moves past a transmitting station at a speed of 0.76c. The clocks at the transmitter and in the spaceship are synchronized when the nose of the spaceship passes the transmitter. A signal is sent from the transmitter at the instant the tail of the spaceship passes, and is subsequently received by the receiver in the nose of the spaceship. The signal is sent at 1.7556 * 10^-6 s according to the clock in the spaceship, and is received at 3.0899 * 10^-6 s according to the clock in the spaceship. The nose of the spaceship is located at x'=0 m according to the transmitter's frame of reference when the signal is received
azure kitsune

Homework Statement

A spaceship of proper length Lp = 400 m moves past a transmitting station at a speed of v = 0.76c. At the instant that the nose of the spaceship passes the transmitter, clocks at the transmitter and in the nose of the spaceship are synchronized to t = t' = 0. The instant that the tail of the spaceship passes the transmitter a signal is sent and subsequently detected by the receiver in the nose of spaceship.

(a) When, according to the clock in the spaceship, is the signal sent?
(b) When, according to the clock at the transmitter, is the signal received by the spaceship?
(c) When, according to the clock in the spaceship, is the signal received?
(d) Where, according to an observer at the transmitter, is the nose of the spaceship when the signal is received?

Homework Equations

Lorentz transform

The Attempt at a Solution

I let S be the reference frame in which the transmitter is stationary and S' be the reference frame in which the spaceship is stationary.

Then the equation for the position of the nose of the spaceship is x' = 0 in frame S', and x = vt in frame S.

Parts (a) and (c) are easy because they do not require the Lorentz transform.

The answer to (a) is 400/(0.76c) = 1.7556 * 10^-6.

The answer to (c) is 400/(0.76c) + 400/c = 3.0899 * 10^-6.

For (b), I tried to use the Lorentz transform from what I got in (c).

I get that (x', t') = (0, 3.0899 * 10^-6) maps to (x, t) = (1083.21, 4.7542 * 10^-6).

But the correct answer is 6.32 * 10^-6, not 4.75 * 10^-6.

I think the problem is that I am not interpreting the Lorentz transform correctly. What is the meaning of (x, t) = (1083.21, 4.7542 * 10^-6)? And also, how do I get to the correct answer?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything you did looks right, and I'm getting the same answers you did.

Thank you for the reply.

I got the solutions manual from my teacher. In it, the answer to (b) is given by:

[tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-0.76^2}} \left[ 3.09 \times 10^{-6} \text{ s} - \frac{(-0.76c)(400 \text{ m})}{c^2} \right] = 6.32 \times 10^{-6} \text{ s} [/tex]

Can someone explain that, or is it a mistake?

It's a mistake. The solution is incorrectly using x'=400 m, but the way the problem is set up, the nose of the spaceship is defined as x'=0 m.

You could also do the calculations in the transmitter's frame. In this frame, the ship is length-contracted to 260 m, so the signal is sent when t=1.14 μs. If you calculate where the worldlines of the signal and the nose of the ship intersect, you'll get t=4.75 μs, as expected.

Thank you! That made the problem a lot clearer!

Related to When and where is the signal received according to different reference frames?

1. What is the Lorentz Transform Problem?

The Lorentz Transform Problem is a mathematical problem that arises in the theory of relativity, specifically in the context of special relativity. It involves the transformation of coordinates and velocities between reference frames that are moving at constant velocities relative to each other.

2. Why is the Lorentz Transform Problem important?

The Lorentz Transform Problem is important because it is a fundamental concept in the theory of relativity. It allows us to understand how measurements of space and time are affected by the relative motion of observers, and it has implications for many areas of physics, including electromagnetism and particle physics.

3. How is the Lorentz Transform Problem solved?

The Lorentz Transform Problem is solved using equations known as the Lorentz transformations, which were developed by Hendrik Lorentz and Albert Einstein. These equations involve the speed of light and allow us to calculate how coordinates and velocities are transformed between reference frames.

4. What are some applications of the Lorentz Transform Problem?

The Lorentz Transform Problem has many applications in physics, including in the design of particle accelerators, the understanding of cosmic rays and high-energy collisions, and the development of GPS technology. It also plays a crucial role in the theory of relativity, which has implications for our understanding of space, time, and gravity.

5. Are there any challenges associated with the Lorentz Transform Problem?

Yes, there are some challenges associated with the Lorentz Transform Problem. One challenge is that it requires a conceptual shift in how we think about space and time, which can be difficult for some people to grasp. Additionally, the equations involved can be complex and require advanced mathematical skills to understand and apply correctly.