Relativity With velocity of objects moving in different fram

In summary, the police spaceship P is chasing spaceship A with equal velocities of βP = βA = 3c/5 in the Solar System reference frame O. The distance between the two ships is 1 light-second. In the frame of the police ship O′, this distance is 5/4 light-seconds due to length contraction. The police ship fires a missile at speed βM′ = 4c/5 from position x′ = 0 at time t′ = 0 in frame O′. The missile reaches ship A in frame O at x = 175c/64 and t = 185/64. These answers can be checked by solving the problem in the unprimed frame.
David0709

Homework Statement

1. i)A police spaceship P is chasing another spaceship A. Both ships have velocities βP = βA = 3c/5 as measured along the x-axis in the Solar System reference frame O. The police ship is a distance L = 1 light-second (i.e. the distance traveled by light in one second) behind ship A. What is this distance in the frame of the police ship O′?

ii)The police ship fires a missile at speed βM′ = 4c/5 at time t′ = 0 and position x′ = 0 as measured in the police spaceship frame O′. When and where does the missile reach ship A, as measured in frame O?

Really I am interested to see If my solution is correct and if not where i went wrong.

Homework Equations

t′ =γ(ct−βx), x′ =γ(x−βct), y′ =y, z′ =z And all inverses as well

D = s * t
γ = 5/4 (if you calculate it)

The Attempt at a Solution

i) I believe that length contraction is a valid way to proceed and in the frame of the solar system since it is moving relative to observer it will be not proper length while in frame O' it is proper length hence in O' it should be 5/4 light second

ii) Since moving at same speed and using addictive relativistic formula the relative velocity is zero between the two objects and in frame O' they are separated at 5C/4 and the rocket being fired relative to police spaceship is 4c/5 hence the time taken in frame O' , t' = 25/16 and x' = 5c/4

Using the inverse lorentz equation (to convert position in frame O' to O) we see that x = 175c/64 and t = 185/64

Please could anyone let me know if the above is correct?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good except for the lack of units on your answers.

You could check your answers by solving the problem in the unprimed frame by calculating the speed of the missile in the unprimed frame and then solving for when it'll catch up to the moving ship A.

Likes David0709

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It explains how the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and how the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does relativity apply to objects moving at different velocities?

According to the theory of relativity, the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that the measurements of time, distance, and mass will be different for observers in different frames of reference, but the laws of physics will be consistent for all observers.

3. What is the difference between special relativity and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with objects moving at constant velocities, while general relativity includes the effects of gravity on objects in motion. Special relativity also applies to all frames of reference, while general relativity is limited to objects in an accelerating or gravitational field.

4. How does the theory of relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

The theory of relativity has had a huge impact on our understanding of the universe. It has led to advancements in technology, such as GPS systems, and has helped us better understand the nature of space, time, and gravity. It has also laid the foundation for other theories, such as quantum mechanics, and has been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations.

5. Can the theory of relativity be proven?

The theory of relativity has been extensively tested and confirmed through various experiments and observations. While it cannot be proven in the traditional sense, the overwhelming amount of evidence supporting it has solidified its place as a fundamental theory in physics.