What's the Real Name of the CD Company That Sells CD-Rs?

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    company
In summary, a CD-R is a type of recordable optical disc that can be written on once using a CD burner, allowing users to create their own customized CDs. To use a CD-R, a CD burner and software program are needed to write data onto the disc. CD-Rs are not reusable, meaning a new disc must be used to change the content. They are generally compatible with most CD players, but older players may have difficulty reading them. The longevity of a CD-R varies, but proper storage and handling can extend its lifespan.
Mk
You know, the CD company, that sells CD-Rs (and other recordable media), two days ago I just noticed it was IMATION not IMITATION. AMAZING. For my whole life, I thought it was imitation. :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
feliz cumpleaños!

Mk said:
You know, the CD company, that sells CD-Rs (and other recordable media), two days ago I just noticed it was IMATION not IMITATION. AMAZING. For my whole life, I thought it was imitation.

Marketing geniuses, they ain't.

Related to What's the Real Name of the CD Company That Sells CD-Rs?

1. What is a CD-R?

A CD-R (Compact Disc-Recordable) is a type of recordable optical disc used for storing digital data. It is similar to a regular CD, but can be written on once using a CD burner. This allows users to create their own CDs with custom content.

2. How do I use a CD-R?

Using a CD-R is simple. First, you will need a CD burner, which is a device that can write data onto a CD. Then, you can use a software program to select the files you want to burn onto the CD-R. Once the files are selected, the CD burner will write the data onto the disc. After it is finished, the CD can be used like a regular CD.

3. Can I reuse a CD-R?

No, CD-Rs are not reusable. Once data has been written onto a CD-R, it cannot be erased or overwritten. If you want to change the content on a CD-R, you will need to use a new disc.

4. Are CD-Rs compatible with all CD players?

In general, CD-Rs should be compatible with most CD players. However, older CD players may have trouble reading CD-Rs that are burned at high speeds or have a higher capacity. It is always best to check the compatibility of your CD player before using a CD-R.

5. How long does a CD-R last?

The longevity of a CD-R depends on various factors such as storage conditions and the quality of the disc. In general, a CD-R can last anywhere from 5 to 100 years. It is recommended to store CD-Rs in a cool, dry place and to handle them carefully to ensure their longevity.