What's the difference between these two equations?

In summary, the probability of a wavefunction |psi> being in a state |q> is given by P = |<q|psi>|^2. When measuring an observable quantity corresponding to an operator Q with an associated eigenstate |q>, the probability of the system being in state |q> after observation is given by P = |<q|Q|psi>|^2. However, this is not the same as the original probability as it represents the frequency distribution of measurement results. Both probabilities have different interpretations and meanings.
baouba
say we have some wavefunction |psi> and we want to find the probability of this wavefunction being in the state |q>. I get that the probability is given by P = |<q|psi>|^2 since we're projecting the wavefunction onto the basis state |q> then squaring it to give the probability density.

However what if we want to measure some observable quantity corresponding to some operator Q with one (of multiple) associated eigenstate |q>, and then find the probability that the system is in a state |q> after being observed. Would probability then be P = |<q|Q|psi>|^2 since I'm collapsing the wavefunction then projecting it onto the basis state |q>?

But say I didn't make a measurement of the system (not apply Q to |psi>) I get the original result. In these two cases I get a different answer do I not? In both cases I'm finding the probability of the wavefunction being in state |q>. Why are the answers different and what do |<q|psi>|^2 and |<q|Q|psi>|^2 fundamentally mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
##|\langle q_n |\psi\rangle|^2## is the one with probabilistic interpretation.
Note that ##|\langle q_n |Q|\psi\rangle|^2 = |q_n|^2## where ##q_n## is the eigenvalue corresponding to the eigenstate ##|q_n\rangle## and it's obviously not a value which can be associated to be a probability.
To emphasize again, ##|\langle q_n |\psi\rangle|^2## is the one with probabilistic interpretation. This follows from the average value of ##Q## (the average value is used here because it connects the theory and experiment) when measured repeatedly over a state ##|\psi\rangle##
$$
\langle \psi |Q|\psi\rangle = \sum_n q_n |\langle q_n |\psi\rangle|^2
$$
Since the LHS is interpreted as an average, the ## |\langle q_n |\psi\rangle|^2## in the RHS must be the frequency distribution which gives a measure of how often a measurement result with ##q_n## occurs.

Related to What's the difference between these two equations?

1. What are the two equations in question?

The two equations in question may vary depending on the context, but in general, they are two mathematical expressions that represent different relationships or quantities.

2. How do I know which equation to use?

The choice of which equation to use depends on the specific problem or situation being analyzed. It is important to understand the variables and relationships involved in order to determine which equation is most appropriate.

3. Can these equations be used interchangeably?

In most cases, no. While some equations may appear similar, they may have different assumptions or limitations that make them applicable in different scenarios. It is important to carefully consider the context before using a particular equation.

4. What are the key differences between these two equations?

The key differences between two equations can vary greatly and may include the number of variables, the type of relationship being described, the assumptions made, and the units of measurement used. It is important to carefully analyze the equations to identify these differences.

5. How do I solve for unknown variables in these equations?

The process for solving equations varies depending on the type of equation and the specific variables involved. In general, it involves rearranging the equation to isolate the unknown variable and then using appropriate mathematical operations to solve for its value.