What's the difference between an electron hole and a positron?

In summary: That's why they are called 'positrons'. yeah, I was going to say the same thing.Well, that's certainly helpful to know. Thanks for the summary.In summary, an electron hole and a positron sound quite similar. They are not the same, but they are in some way analogous. The purpose of different terms is unclear, but it seems like it may have some utility.
ddd1600
Qualitatively speaking, an 'electron hole' and a positron sound quite similar. Are they they same? If they are, why are different terms used and what is the utility of that, and if they aren't the same, am I completely wrong in assuming that they are in some way analogous? What kind of tree am I barking up here?

Engineering news on Phys.org
A positron is an anti-electron (as in, an antiparticle, as in, an actual particle). An electron hole is just a conceptual thing, to make nice mathematics for solid state physicists. An electron hole is just the lack of an electron, not an antiparticle... or a particle at all.

Seeing that electron holes "flow" in the opposite direction of the electron current in a wire, its basically just a "flowing" of the absence of electrons? What is the point of even creating an abstraction to explain something like that? I know this is how it goes in physics, but why on Earth would one want to articulate the "flow" of an absence?

Is it the flow of positive charge? And if it is, what contains that charge? Don't you need some type of substance to carry that charge? (this is where I was going with the positron bit)

(I think I'm going to like this forum...:)

It's not the flow of charge, it's really the not-flow of charge.

When an electron leaves a state a for state b, we can talk about the electron traveling from a->b. Or, we can also talk about "the hole" traveling from b->a . The hole really isn't anything... The hole is just a place that doesn't have an electron, but 'should'. The wiki article I linked has a really nice analogy for hole conduction you should read under the first section.

Oh, so the positive charge would be a field-type existence which originates in the protons of the conducting metal or metalloid?

ddd1600 said:
Oh, so the positive charge would be a field-type existence which originates in the protons of the conducting metal or metalloid?

That's certainly not the wording I would use, hah, but it's in a sense the right idea.

When you take an electron away from a neutral atom, it becomes positive, because of the proton, same for any neutral structure. Metals and Metalloids, when we are talking about bandgap structure, become much more complicated, but the basic idea is the same. The 'hole' though really isn't positively charged, but mathematically, it's 'the opposite' of an electron (but not in the same sense that a positron is).

Indeed, that's more than good enough for government work, thanks.

Positrons annihilate with electrons in a few nanoseconds, emitting two 0.511 MeV gamma rays.

Related to What's the difference between an electron hole and a positron?

What is an electron hole?

An electron hole is a type of defect in a material where there is a lack of an electron in an otherwise filled energy band. It can be thought of as a positive charge carrier in a material that normally has negative charges (electrons).

What is a positron?

A positron is the antiparticle of an electron, meaning it has the same mass as an electron but has a positive charge instead of a negative charge.

How are electron holes and positrons related?

Electron holes and positrons are related in that they both represent a lack of an electron in a material. However, they have opposite charges and behave differently in certain situations.

What are some applications of electron holes and positrons?

Electron holes and positrons have various applications in fields such as semiconductor technology, nuclear physics, and medical imaging. They can be used to create and manipulate electric fields, study antimatter, and detect cancerous tissues, among other things.

Can electron holes or positrons exist on their own?

Electron holes and positrons cannot exist on their own in a stable state. They must be paired with an electron or antielectron, respectively, to maintain charge neutrality in a material.