What's the best science non-fiction book that you have ever read?

• Quantum
  • Thread starter jaypolkam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Science
In summary: The variational principles of mechanics are firmly rooted in the soil of that great century of Liberalism which starts with Descartes and ends with the French Revolution and which has witnessed the lives of Leibniz, Spinoza, Goethe, and Johann Sebastian Bach. It is the only period of cosmic thinking in the entire history of Europe since the time of Greeks. If the author has succeeded in conveying an inking of that cosmic spirit, his effort will be amply rewarded.
jaypolkam
I'm just curious about this, and have for a while been interested in a good non-fiction about about science that I could read. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the book that I enjoyed the most when I read it (I was in the ninth grade at the time) was the Andromeda Strain, by Michael Crichton, I started to read it recently (in Italian), and I still like it. Incredibly this almost seems to be current events, with COVID-19 widespread

Likes berkeman
mpresic3 said:
I think the book that I enjoyed the most when I read it (I was in the ninth grade at the time) was the Andromeda Strain, by Michael Crichton, I started to read it recently (in Italian), and I still like it. Incredibly this almost seems to be current events, with COVID-19 widespread
I didn't know this was a non-fiction book!

• Haha
Likes Auto-Didact, Vanadium 50 and phinds
Sorry, For some reason I thought the post asked for the most enjoyable science-fiction book.
QM

For textbooks, Goldstein Classical Mechanics 3rd ed, and Shankar Quantum Mechanics are the only physics graduate level books I read cover to cover. I like both but I like Goldstein better.

The Ascent of Man, by Jacob Brownowsky for non-textbook book

DrClaude said:

That's just what the government wants you to think! :wink:

• Wow
Likes DrClaude
mpresic3 said:
Incredibly this almost seems to be current events, with COVID-19 widespread
DrClaude said:
I think it almost qualifies, at least as a fictional account of a real situation. Just don't stare at the flashing light... o0)

Many years ago I bought a copy of "GEB/EGB" [*] and tried several times to get through it. In the end I was not successful, but maybe now (and with more time on my hands) I would be able to digest it better. I'm not sure whether it's too dated now or not, though.

Since I'm an EE and have worked in Silicon Valley for a lot of my R&D career, I really enjoyed the insights in this book, and recommend it highly:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YYZJG5/?tag=pfamazon01-20

1585581172467.png

And for a motivational and fun book about the life of an amazing Physicist (including some insights into the making of the first atomic bomb), this book is great:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005458Z/?tag=pfamazon01-20

1585581303106.png
[*] GEB/EGB -- "Godel Escher Bach, an Eternal Golden Braid"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gödel,_Escher,_Bach

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd and DrClaude
HI @jaypolkam

Before I wrote this post I checked to find whether the current definition for "anthropology" is or not a science.
The following reference says "YES".

I next thought about the intended meaning of "best" in the thread's title. I finally decided that the term is ambiguous, and that I can use my preferred usage for this post. For this purpose I chose that "best" means "most enjoyable", rather than an alternative, "most usefully informative".

My candidate for "best" is:
The Spell of the Sensuous (1996) by David Abram.​
Regards,
Buzz

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Likes Buzz Bloom
Non-textbook: The Foundation of Science, by Henri Poincaré

Even stronger, this is probably the single best book I have ever read, or at least it is in my top three non-fiction books of all time where I have trouble ranking the other two

"The variational principles of mechanics" by Cornelius Lanczos

From the preface
The variational principles of mechanics are firmly rooted in the soil of that great century of Liberalism which starts with Descartes and ends with the French Revolution and which has witnessed the lives of Leibniz, Spinoza, Goethe, and Johann Sebastian Bach. It is the only period of cosmic thinking in the entire history of Europe since the time of Greeks. If the author has succeeded in conveying an inking of that cosmic spirit, his effort will be amply rewarded.

As someone who enjoy very much (old) literature, philosophy and classical music I can relate to this book on so many levels, even if I still don't understand much about analytical mechanics :-p... Maybe I just like the way he writes.

PS: just 18€ on Amazon

Likes vanhees71

1. What makes a science non-fiction book the best?

The best science non-fiction books are typically well-researched, engaging, and thought-provoking. They present complex scientific concepts in a way that is accessible to the general reader and leave a lasting impact on the reader's understanding of the subject.

2. Can you recommend a science non-fiction book that is suitable for beginners?

One great science non-fiction book for beginners is "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson. It covers a wide range of scientific topics in an entertaining and easy-to-understand manner.

3. Are there any science non-fiction books that have been particularly influential in the scientific community?

Yes, there are many science non-fiction books that have had a significant impact on the scientific community. Some examples include "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins, "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions" by Thomas Kuhn, and "The Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin.

4. Is it important for science non-fiction books to be accurate and factual?

Absolutely. Science non-fiction books should be based on solid research and present accurate information. It is important for authors to fact-check their work and provide credible sources for their claims.

5. Can a science non-fiction book be both informative and entertaining?

Yes, many science non-fiction books strike a balance between being informative and entertaining. They use engaging storytelling techniques to present complex scientific concepts in an engaging and enjoyable way.