What's more important for graduate school? GRE VS. GPA

In summary, GPA and GRE scores are both important factors in graduate school admissions. However, there are many schools that do not require GRE scores and may place more emphasis on research experience and undergraduate coursework. In some fields, like physics, the GRE subject test may carry more weight, but for engineering programs that do not have a subject test, the general test may not be as significant. Ultimately, research experience and recommendations are often more important than GRE scores. While a good GRE score can compensate for a lower GPA, bad grades can be a barrier to admission.
asd1249jf
I understand that both of them are a huge factor of deciding admission to a graduate school, but which one is generally more critical?

Physics news on Phys.org
GPA. There are schools that don't even require GRE scores for admission.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
GPA. There are schools that don't even require GRE scores for admission.

Zz.

What about if you want to get admitted to schools such as Caltech, Harvard, Yale whatever.

Still the same case?

Just as an example, MIT's electrical engineering graduate program doesn't require any GRE exam (subject or general). (Source: http://web.mit.edu/admissions/graduate/pdfs/MIT_department_info.pdf) I think graduate programs generally place more emphasis on research experience and undergraduate coursework than on standardized exams like the GRE.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, I think it might depend on the field you're in. If you're in physics, I imagine that the GRE subject test might carry some extra weight. However, if you're in engineering, since there is no subject test, the general test probably isn't worth that much. Either way, I imagine that research experience and recommendations count much more than GRE scores.

l46kok said:
What about if you want to get admitted to schools such as Caltech, Harvard, Yale whatever.

Still the same case?

Then your admission probably rests more on past research and recommendations than anything else.

I'd say GPA matters a bit more. I graduated with a good GPA. While I also had great general GRE scores, my physics subject score was rather atrocious (about 45%-ile). Yet I recently got admission to an MS program. So I'm guessing that GPA is a bit more important than the GRE.

This isn't to say that the GRE isn't important. If you get low grades but do very well on the GRE, it can compensate for your GPA. Ohio State, for example, will consider applicants who fall below the 3.0 minimum, provided that they submit GRE subject scores. I have a friend who's got a 2.4 physics GPA, but who got a 75%-ile on his physics GRE, so such a thing is possible.

Anyway, I've got no expert knowledge on this subject; like you I'm just a grad school applicant. But this is what I've learned from my experiences thus far.

i think bad grades definitley will keep you OUT of grad school, but bad subject GRE's not necessarily. I think subject GRE's just make you easier to admit because it shows you have some physics skills (obviously you can debate how much but only an idiot would say there is no correlation between physics skills and subject gre scores). But the test is so weird that its common for smart people with plenty of physics knowledge to not do so hot. So a guy or girl with good grades and research and recs should be ok even with so-so scores but i would think that bad grades = trouble because if you can pull a 3.0 in undergrad physics how do you expect do in grad school when its required.

Last edited:

Related to What's more important for graduate school? GRE VS. GPA

1. What is the GRE and GPA?

The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is a standardized test used for admissions into graduate programs. It tests verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing skills. GPA (Grade Point Average) is a measure of a student's academic performance based on their grades from previous coursework.

2. Which one is more important for graduate school admissions?

It depends on the graduate program and the individual university. Some programs may place more emphasis on the GRE, while others may prioritize GPA. It is important to research the specific requirements and expectations of the graduate programs you are interested in.

3. Can a high GRE score compensate for a low GPA?

In some cases, a high GRE score can help balance out a lower GPA. However, it ultimately depends on the individual university's admissions criteria and the overall competitiveness of the applicant pool. It is important to have a well-rounded application with strong letters of recommendation, relevant experience, and a compelling personal statement.

4. Is it better to focus on studying for the GRE or maintaining a high GPA?

Both the GRE and GPA are important factors in graduate admissions, so it is important to strive for a balance between the two. However, if you are struggling to maintain a high GPA, it may be beneficial to focus more on improving your grades. On the other hand, if you have a strong GPA, it may be worth dedicating more time to studying for the GRE.

5. Can I retake the GRE or improve my GPA after I have already applied to graduate school?

Yes, you can retake the GRE or improve your GPA after submitting your application. However, it is important to check with the individual university to see if they will consider updated scores or transcripts. Some universities may have a strict deadline for when they will accept updates, so it is important to plan accordingly.