What's better for studying Physics: AP or IB?

In summary: I'll have to look into it more.Nope, I live in South America but I had been living in the US for about 13 years before I came to start High School here. I'll have to look into it more.
Diego Fernandez
Currently, I'm in the IB program and I've never taken any AP courses back at my old school. Since I'm planning on studying Astrophysics in College, I was wondering which one prepares me the best for things concerning subjects in math and physics? After doing some research, I found that IB focuses more on your writing skills rather than anything else.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know from experience that universities pay a lot of attention to you if you've taken AP Physics 1 and 2 and are starting C senior year, because C is basically the two intro courses you take at a university level. Idk how IB compares with 1 and 2 though. I can't imagine that they're much different because there's only so many approaches to take with algebra based physics imo. So if you've already taken IB I dont' even know what AP 1 and 2 would do for you. If you can get into AP C though, do it.

Moriarty said:
I know from experience that universities pay a lot of attention to you if you've taken AP Physics 1 and 2 and are starting C senior year, because C is basically the two intro courses you take at a university level. Idk how IB compares with 1 and 2 though. I can't imagine that they're much different because there's only so many approaches to take with algebra based physics imo. So if you've already taken IB I dont' even know what AP 1 and 2 would do for you. If you can get into AP C though, do it.

Thanks for the info. Is it possible to take AP courses while I'm doing IB in school? I heard you can take AP courses online.

Like I said, if you're already doing IB I don't see a reason to take AP Physics 1 or 2 because the material is too similar. Physics C has a requirement that you know algebra based physics before hand and take AP Calculus AB-BC concurrently or previously. I would advise sticking with IB for now and if you have another year in high school to take calculus at least as well as Physics C if you can get permission. At least get the Calculus in before you go to university because it makes a difference between people who do well in intro physics in college or not. Not that it's impossible, but it really helps, especially in an honors class.

Here's the only official info I could find for doing courses online. You'll have to find a school that offers it online and enroll with them:

http://www.collegeboard.com/html/apcourseaudit/online_learning.html

I think you should look at the college (or colleges) you think you will attend, and look at whether they accept AP or IB credits. I have taken C mechanics, and it was very rigorous and helped me transition to college physics very comfortably, so I would have to recommend AP physics C, both mechanics and E & M if possible.

Diego Fernandez said:
Currently, I'm in the IB program and I've never taken any AP courses back at my old school. Since I'm planning on studying Astrophysics in College, I was wondering which one prepares me the best for things concerning subjects in math and physics? After doing some research, I found that IB focuses more on your writing skills rather than anything else.
Not sure what it means but I will assume you are from the us because you used the term ap. Here in California (not sure if it applies in all states) a high school student could take classes at a community college for free or low cost.

MidgetDwarf said:
Not sure what it means but I will assume you are from the us because you used the term ap. Here in California (not sure if it applies in all states) a high school student could take classes at a community college for free or low cost.
Nope, I live in South America but I had been living in the US for about 13 years before I came to start High School here.

Related to What's better for studying Physics: AP or IB?

What is the difference between AP and IB Physics?

The main difference between AP and IB Physics is the curriculum and exams. AP Physics focuses on three main branches of physics (Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism, and Optics), while IB Physics covers all six branches of physics (Mechanics, Thermal Physics, Wave Phenomena, Electricity and Magnetism, Atomic and Nuclear Physics, and Energy Production). Additionally, AP exams are multiple-choice, while IB exams include short answer and essay questions.

Which one is more challenging, AP or IB Physics?

This is subjective and depends on the individual student. However, IB Physics is generally considered more challenging due to its comprehensive curriculum and more rigorous exams. AP Physics may be more challenging for students who struggle with multiple-choice exams.

Which one is better for college preparation?

Both AP and IB Physics are excellent for college preparation. Both curriculums cover important concepts and skills that are necessary for success in college-level physics courses. However, AP Physics may be more beneficial for students who are planning to major in a science or engineering field, as it focuses on the core concepts of these subjects.

Can I take both AP and IB Physics?

It is possible to take both AP and IB Physics, but it may be challenging to manage the workload and prepare for two different exams. It is recommended to choose one program and focus on excelling in that course.

Which one is more recognized by colleges?

Both AP and IB courses are recognized by colleges and universities. It is important to research the specific schools you are interested in to see if they have a preference for one program over the other. Some colleges may offer credit or placement for high scores on AP or IB exams, so it is beneficial to perform well in either program.