What's a typical course load for grad student

In summary: There are usually course requirements that need to be met. Once they meet these requirements, grad students typically don't take any additional courses for credit (although they might continue sitting in on at most one or two per semester).The idea is that you should be focusing most of your energy on your thesis.
Robert1986
I'm going to be a first year grad student in the Fall. What is a typical course load in grad school? I will be leading recitation for 2 hours a week, plus 2-3 hours of "office" hours. I know most people take 12-15 or so hours during underdrad, but this seems like too many for grad school. I was planning on taking 3 classes (Algebra I, Intro to Geometry and Topology I, an Advanced Linear Algebra). I know this isn't too hard, but is it too easy? I mean, for the grad students (and former gradstudents or future grad students) how many classes did you typically take each semester?

Physics news on Phys.org
Typical grad students take 2-3 classes a semester their first few years. I tried 4 once, but had to drop one at the last minute because they all decided to assign a huge final project in the last two weeks with no prior warning.

In math, 2-3 per semester seems reasonable for the first year or two. There are usually course requirements that need to be met. Once they meet these requirements, grad students typically don't take any additional courses for credit (although they might continue sitting in on at most one or two per semester). The idea is that you should be focusing most of your energy on your thesis.

Thanks for the answers, guys.

So, Ph.D. students at my school can use up to 9 thesis hours to count toward their course requirements for the Ph.D. (the requirement is 54 hours where each class is 3 hours). Do most people take advantage of this in your experience?

It goes without saying that the course requirement is the most trivial aspect of the PhD. :)

I don't really know anyone who's had trouble fulfilling it - it kind of just happens.

morphism said:
It goes without saying that the course requirement is the most trivial aspect of the PhD. :)

I don't really know anyone who's had trouble fulfilling it - it kind of just happens.

Haha. Yeah, I never really thought of it that way, but it makes sense.

eri said:
Typical grad students take 2-3 classes a semester their first few years. I tried 4 once, but had to drop one at the last minute because they all decided to assign a huge final project in the last two weeks with no prior warning.

This. The classes are graduate level require a lot of time, so think wisely about taking many.

morphism said:

I had known people struggle in their classes. It depends on the country, and the university. However, I think most pass the courses, and then in the qualifying those that struggle are likely to fail and drop out of the PhD.

Related to What's a typical course load for grad student

What is a typical course load for a graduate student?

A typical course load for a graduate student varies depending on the program and institution. Generally, graduate students take fewer courses than undergraduates, with most programs requiring 9-12 credit hours per semester. However, this may vary for students who are also working or completing a thesis or dissertation.

How many courses should a graduate student take per semester?

Most graduate programs recommend taking 3-4 courses per semester, as this allows students to balance coursework with other responsibilities. However, some programs may require more or less courses, and it is important to consult with your advisor or program guidelines for specific requirements.

Can a graduate student take more than the recommended course load?

Yes, some graduate students may choose to take on a heavier course load if they are able to manage their time effectively. However, it is important to consider the additional workload and whether it will impact the quality of your coursework or other responsibilities.

Are all courses the same length for a graduate student?

No, graduate courses may vary in length and format. Some courses may meet for a traditional 15-week semester, while others may be condensed into shorter terms or meet less frequently throughout the semester. It is important to check the course schedule and syllabus for specific details.

Do graduate students have to take courses in their field of study?

Yes, most graduate programs require students to take courses specific to their field of study. These courses are designed to provide in-depth knowledge and skills necessary for success in the field. However, some programs may allow students to take electives outside of their field, with approval from their advisor or program director.