What variables affect the amplitude and equilibrium of waves and springs?

In summary, at equilibrium, the displacement (Δx) is zero and the force exerted by the spring is also zero. At maximum amplitude, the displacement is greatest and the force is at its maximum. Kinetic energy (KE) is maximum at equilibrium while potential energy (PE) is maximum at amplitude. Velocity is maximum when KE is maximum and force and acceleration are both maximum when PE is maximum. Understanding the relationship between KE and PE can help determine when force and velocity are at their maximum.
Scholar1
What variables are maximum at amplitude and equilibrium? What variables are minimum at amplitude and equilibrium? I'm confused about this topic... I know KE is max at equilibrium and PE is max at amplitude.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should state your question better. I don't know what you're asking.

At equilibrium Δx = 0 and at max amplitude Δx is greatest. The force the spring exerts at equilibrium is zero, and is max at amplitude. K never changes.

Sorry I mean like velocity, acceleration, and force. @Karmaslap

Velocity is max when KE is maxed. Force and Acceleration are both max when the PE is max. You should have known when force and velocity were maxed if you know what KE and PE are.

Related to What variables affect the amplitude and equilibrium of waves and springs?

1. What are the variables that affect the speed of a wave?

The variables that affect the speed of a wave are the medium through which the wave is traveling, the temperature of the medium, and the frequency and wavelength of the wave itself.

2. How does the amplitude of a wave affect its energy?

The amplitude of a wave is directly proportional to its energy. This means that the higher the amplitude, the more energy the wave carries.

3. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength of a wave?

The frequency and wavelength of a wave are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases and vice versa.

4. How does the mass of a spring affect its period?

The mass of a spring does not affect its period, which is the time it takes for one complete oscillation. The period of a spring only depends on its stiffness (or spring constant) and the mass attached to it.

5. Can the tension of a spring affect the speed of a wave traveling through it?

Yes, the tension of a spring can affect the speed of a wave traveling through it. As the tension increases, the speed of the wave also increases. This is because the tension affects the stiffness of the spring, which in turn affects the speed of the wave.