Simple harmonic motion springs

In summary, the amplitude of oscillation for a spring with a mass attached is not equal to the sum of the displacement due to the mass and the additional displacement from stretching. This is because the nature of simple harmonic motion is that the restoring force is proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position. Additionally, when the spring is partially opened or placed on a frictionless surface, the amplitude will still be measured from the maximum displacement relative to the rest position.
Jas
I have a spring with mass M attached, and leave it at equilibrium. Then I displace it some more by stretching it down a bit more. Displacement due to the mass= X, displacement due to stretching it even more=Y.

Why isn't the amplitude of oscillation= X+Y, but is only actually only Y? This is really confusing me!

Relevant equations: (L is the natural length of the spring, and x is the extension, λ is the modulus of elasticity
Tension=λx/L
Energy stored=λx^2/2L

Physics news on Phys.org
Jas said:
I have a spring with mass M attached, and leave it at equilibrium. Then I displace it some more by stretching it down a bit more. Displacement due to the mass= X, displacement due to stretching it even more=Y.

Why isn't the amplitude of oscillation= X+Y, but is only actually only Y? This is really confusing me!

Relevant equations: (L is the natural length of the spring, and x is the extension, λ is the modulus of elasticity
Tension=λx/L
Energy stored=λx^2/2L
What if ##Y = 0##?

PeroK said:
What if ##Y = 0##?
Then it would just stay in equillibrium

Jas said:
Then it would just stay in equillibrium

But you would have it oscillate with amplitude ##X+ Y = X##.

Jas said:
The nature of SHM is that the restoring force is proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium (or rest) position. Y will be positive or negative, depending on whether the mass is above or below position X. We, of course, assume that the k of the spring is the same over the whole range of positions of the mass.
Here's another idea. Assuming the spring is partly open went unloaded (easy to arrange by giving it a good stretching!) Then imagine the spring and mass are laid on a frictionless horizontal surface ( dry, clean ice). The rest position of the mass will now be different, with respect to the fixing of the spring but the restoring force per cm of displacement will still be the same. So the period will be exactly the same as when the mass is hanging down. The amplitude will still be the maximum displacement relative to the rest position.

Related to Simple harmonic motion springs

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point due to a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium.

2. How do springs exhibit simple harmonic motion?

Springs exhibit simple harmonic motion when they are stretched or compressed, causing a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement. This results in the spring oscillating back and forth around its equilibrium length.

3. What is the equation for simple harmonic motion?

The equation for simple harmonic motion can be written as x(t) = A * cos(ωt + φ), where x(t) is the displacement of the object, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant.

4. How do you calculate the period of a spring's simple harmonic motion?

The period of a spring's simple harmonic motion can be calculated using the equation T = 2π * √(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object attached to the spring, and k is the spring constant.

5. How does the amplitude affect simple harmonic motion in springs?

The amplitude of a spring's simple harmonic motion affects the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. A larger amplitude results in a larger displacement, while a smaller amplitude results in a smaller displacement.