What undergraduate course should i major in if i want to be a .

In summary, if you want to become a nanotechnology/material science researcher, you should consider majoring in a program dedicated to nanotech or material science and take relevant courses in physics and chemistry in addition to your core coursework. MIT is a leading school in the nano industry, but there are other schools in the US and abroad that offer strong programs in this field. It is recommended to pursue graduate studies to further specialize in nanoscience or materials engineering. Additionally, having a strong understanding of the basics in physics and chemistry can greatly benefit your career in this field.
Unknown_9999
what undergraduate course should i major in if i want to be a ...

nanotechnology/material science researcher?

Physics news on Phys.org

Unknown_9999 said:
nanotechnology/material science researcher?

well there are schools that offer undergrads in nanotech and material science...

maverick_starstrider said:
well there are schools that offer undergrads in nanotech and material science...

which is the best one?rice?mit?or purdue??how about schools in china? should i learn physics too?what are some maths that will benefit me?what are the other things that could help me excel in this field?

Unknown_9999 said:
which is the best one?rice?mit?or purdue??how about schools in china? should i learn physics too?what are some maths that will benefit me?what are the other things that could help me excel in this field?

I don't really know which american schools (I'm Canadian) but if you go into a program that is dedicated to either nanotech or material science you'll just take the courses you're supposed to (and they'll probably outline extra courses you might want to take). As a reference here's the core course outline for nanotechnology engineering at Waterloo http://www.nanotech.uwaterloo.ca/Undergraduate_Studies/Course_List/?show=core

maverick_starstrider said:
I don't really know which american schools (I'm Canadian) but if you go into a program that is dedicated to either nanotech or material science you'll just take the courses you're supposed to (and they'll probably outline extra courses you might want to take). As a reference here's the core course outline for nanotechnology engineering at Waterloo http://www.nanotech.uwaterloo.ca/Undergraduate_Studies/Course_List/?show=core

i know about that,but isn't mit the leading school in nano industry?what kind of requirements do i need to do well in nano field?are there any other courses that has potential to revolutionrize the world too?

If it were me, I'd like to major in physics and chemistry to make sure I understand the basics of nanoscience which I think begins in chemistry and physics. Then I would go to grad school for nanoscience or materials engineering. Or I would major in materials science and minor in chemistry and of course go to grad school. If I were going to be a researcher I'd make sure I understood all the basics and build from that by going to grad school.

Related to What undergraduate course should i major in if i want to be a .

What undergraduate course should I major in if I want to be a scientist?

There is no one specific undergraduate course that is required to become a scientist. It ultimately depends on what field of science you are interested in pursuing. Some common majors for aspiring scientists include biology, chemistry, physics, environmental science, and psychology.

What are the benefits of majoring in a science-related field?

Majoring in a science-related field can provide a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, and research skills. It can also lead to various career opportunities in fields such as healthcare, research, and environmental science.

Do I need to have a specific undergraduate major to pursue a career in science?

No, many scientists have diverse backgrounds and may have majored in fields outside of science. What is most important is having a strong passion for science and being committed to continued learning and professional development.

Are there any recommended courses I should take as a science major?

While each program and field may have different course requirements, some common recommended courses for science majors include biology, chemistry, math, statistics, and research methods. It is also beneficial to take courses in your specific area of interest within science to gain specialized knowledge.

Is it necessary to pursue a graduate degree after completing an undergraduate program in science?

It is not necessary to pursue a graduate degree after completing an undergraduate program in science, but it can open up more opportunities for advancement and higher-paying positions. It is also common for those pursuing a career in research to have a graduate degree. Ultimately, it depends on your career goals and aspirations.