What to do when receiving a bad grade on assignment

• MHB
  • Thread starter find_the_fun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Assignment
In summary, the expert summarizer believes that the student did not put enough time into the assignment and that there may be a grading error. In addition, the expert believes that the student should review the material they did not do well on and change their homework strategy.
find_the_fun
I got 12/24 on my assignment. I am surprised and displeased as I thought I did a good job and I felt I understood the material. I will not give up! I believe this is a sign something needs to changed. I had put a lot of time into the assignment and I don't believe it is feasible to put double the amount of time into get 24/24, my other commitments can't afford that. Is it the correct way to look at it that I didn't put enough time into it? What should my next step be? What should a long term change be? I'm going to look over the answer key and see where I went wrong.

Also I think my paper may have been graded incorrectly. I find it hard to follow, as the marker used checks, x's, and +some-number. But I think at least the marks were summed incorrectly at the end.

Physics news on Phys.org
find_the_fun said:
Also I think my paper may have been graded incorrectly. I find it hard to follow, as the marker used checks, x's, and +some-number. But I think at least the marks were summed incorrectly at the end.

Well, surely you know how to count, so you can at least verify that!

Bad grades happen, just review the material you didn't do well on, and you'll do better next time (likely the final exam for instance) :)

when i get a bad grade on an assignment, first i die, second i go over the assignment and see what i did wrong, third i go over those questions with the instructor or a tutor to see why i did them wrong or to make sure it was graded correctly, fourth i make sure i don't do what i did last time whether it was wasting time or doing the assignment too fast or not studying before hand.

the same thing happened to me the other day on my programming assignment but only because it think it was graded incorrectly.

Another possibility is to change your homework strategy. This may or may not be relevant - it's better advice for extremely difficult homework than for homework you can just sit down and do all at once without pausing, and I don't know how hard the homework is for you.

For very difficult homework, I have found that it's not the sheer amount of time you spend on it that will get it done - it's the number of fresh starts. So if you find yourself banging your head against a wall, then just stop that homework and move on to another class. Repeat this process. Of course, this presupposes that you start working on a homework set as soon as you get it! You can't wait around. It's especially valuable if you can sleep on it a few times. Your brain can sometimes solve problems in your sleep.

It's also more valuable simply to have these ideas ruminating in your head over a longer period of time. It will help with comprehension.

I agree with you: never give up!

The problem is the marker only put a number and didn't indicate where mistakes were made. I went to talk to the prof but he told me the answer key was online with mark breakdown and didn't even look at the assignment. I looked at the answer key, and it did show certain steps with their marks, but I'm still unclear as to where I went wrong. For example one question I got the right answer and showed work, but only got 1/5.

It seems I lost LOTS of marks to little details, such as leaving out the absolute value when integrating 1/x or no explicitly writing that I checked the trivial solution to the differential equation, and it is not a solution.

Related to What to do when receiving a bad grade on assignment

1. How can I improve my grade after receiving a bad grade on an assignment?

One way to improve your grade is to schedule a meeting with your professor to discuss your assignment and ask for feedback. This can help you understand where you went wrong and how to improve for future assignments. You can also ask for extra credit opportunities or see if there are any other assignments you can complete to improve your grade.

2. Should I retake the assignment or try to make up for the bad grade in other ways?

It depends on the specific assignment and class. If the assignment is a major part of your grade and you have the opportunity to retake it, it may be worth considering. However, if it is a smaller assignment or you are unable to retake it, focusing on improving your grade in other ways may be a better option.

3. How can I avoid receiving a bad grade on future assignments?

One way to avoid receiving a bad grade on future assignments is to carefully read and follow the instructions given by your professor. Make sure to also plan ahead and give yourself enough time to complete the assignment without feeling rushed. It may also be helpful to ask for feedback on previous assignments and use that to improve your approach for future ones.

4. Is it okay to ask for a grade change or challenge a bad grade on an assignment?

It is okay to ask for a grade change or challenge a bad grade on an assignment if you believe there was a mistake in the grading process or if you have evidence that your work deserved a higher grade. However, it is important to approach this in a respectful and professional manner and to provide valid reasoning for your request.

5. How can I stay motivated after receiving a bad grade on an assignment?

Receiving a bad grade on an assignment can be discouraging, but it is important to stay motivated and keep working towards your goals. One way to do this is to focus on your progress and not just the final grade. Set small goals for yourself and celebrate when you achieve them. Additionally, don't be afraid to reach out for support from friends, family, or a counselor if you are feeling overwhelmed.